Notices

So....

Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I totally understand that cycle of futility.

Because, I have been there.

I can tell you that when it had finally beaten me up to the point that the pain of remaining the same outweighed the fear of changing..... I made a choice and it was a true and deep one.... "I MUST change. Not only must, but WANT TO".

And I then chose to take actions - every day - in support of my choice to embrace sobriety. It has made all the difference, and I cannot imagine going back to that suffering place ever again.

Life is way to good to drink to.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

It's a work in progress! That's okay...just keep trying....no matter what, you're better than before if you just keep trying. Just go for one more day.....one day at a time.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
I have been told to make my higher power A.A itself ... but can't wrap my head around that because certain steps, at least to me .. are talking about the typical concept of god .. It appears to me they say make your higher power whatever you want .. just to help you get started, but hope over time you'll develop some kind of legitimate belief in something. I don't see myself getting the intended result of the steps without believing as they believe. I don't like talking about this stuff because I feel like I am going to offend someone .. but I also like to express what is going on with me in case someone has any ideas for me.
One day at a time can apply to the 12 steps, too. Instead of looking forward at the steps -- and worrying about wrapping my head around the God stuff, or the amends process, I have found success taking the steps one day at a time, too.
When my mind races ahead, which it is prone to do, I remind myself to stay in the step that I'm in.

I've been sober for 2 years. I take what works with AA and leave the rest.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Your doing great Volshen, congrats on 9 days.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
I have been told to make my higher power A.A itself ... but can't wrap my head around that because certain steps, at least to me .. are talking about the typical concept of god .. It appears to me they say make your higher power whatever you want .. just to help you get started, but hope over time you'll develop some kind of legitimate belief in something.

I don't see myself getting the intended result of the steps without believing as they believe.

I don't like talking about this stuff because I feel like I am going to offend someone .. but I also like to express what is going on with me in case someone has any ideas for me.
theres a chapter in the big book titled,"we agnostics." you might want to read it.
you cant wrap your head around it YET.
quite a few people in aa that dont believe in the God youre thinking of and are sober today and have been for years.

we came to believe.
by working tbe rest of the steps.

blind faith is rather amazing.