SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Work Happy Hour (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/389541-work-happy-hour.html)

jaded25 04-15-2016 11:43 AM

Work Happy Hour

There has been a work happy hour scheduled for awhile now. It's the first time they have done one ever. It's a way to help bring other departments together. I told people awhile ago I was attending. I don't really want to drink but also don't want to miss out with interacting with coworkers. Should I still go?

Fabela 04-15-2016 11:45 AM

I wouldn't go. Why jeopardize your new found sobriety?

Soberwolf 04-15-2016 11:51 AM

in early sobriety I wouldn't go best to build your sober muscles

Mags1 04-15-2016 11:54 AM

Hi jaded, you sound like you may talk yourself into having a drink, which for us would be a slippery slope.

If you can imagine and take yourself to the 'enth' drink, where blackouts occur , run through the senario in your mind. I know that often helped me not to drink. And staying close to SR.

360startstoday 04-15-2016 12:10 PM

Na, I wouldn't go. I avoided some family gatherings at the very beginning just to avoid the potential.

Anna 04-15-2016 12:19 PM

If you don't have to go, and you're feeling concerned, don't go. :)

Jsober 04-15-2016 12:19 PM

If you think you are strong enough you can still go and drink soda/water and interact with co-workers. If you are feeling tempted while there you can have an escape plan- i.e. have dinner plans, have to give someone a ride, have to help a friend. My point is if you go and you don't have to drink. That is a pattern you need to break for long term sobriety.
I agree with the others- if you think you will drink, forget what I said and just do not attend this one.

jaded25 04-15-2016 12:32 PM

I don't have any desire to drink. It's more people asking me why I am not drinking or offer me a drink.

doggonecarl 04-15-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaded25 (Post 5906404)
...don't want to miss out with interacting with coworkers.

That's what work is for...interacting with co-workers. Happy hour is for drinking.

Please remember why you came to SR in the first place. To get sober. Do whatever it takes to support that decision.

jaded25 04-15-2016 02:32 PM

I did not go. Thanks for your messages.

CaseyW 04-15-2016 02:37 PM

Good for you putting your recovery first today. Have a wonderful and sober Friday night!

mns1 04-15-2016 02:48 PM

Good for you jaded

MIRecovery 04-15-2016 04:22 PM

I still find being in drinking situations to be extremely unpredictable. Sometimes it really bothers me sometimes not. I have never figured out what the difference is.

I do know I was about 3 months sober and THOUGHT I was ready for anything. I went to a Halloween party and although I didn't drink it was close. Instead I had my one and only panic attack. Thank God I drove separately because I almost ran out the door