Notices

Handling Stress While Sober

Old 04-15-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Handling Stress While Sober

So yesterday, the president of my company comes into my office, closes the door, and says, what are the chances you would move to TX. Now I live in CO, and have been here since 97'. My wife is originally from here, so her family and everyone she has ever known is here. I have 4 kids and just bought a new house less than a year ago. To say this was a punch in the throat is an understatement. I started to have a really bad anxiety attack, thought about throwing up in my trash can, and started to tear up a bit. Not sure if I over reacted or not. As I sat there and started to calm down, I decided I was just going to take an early day from work, went home and worked out, and never once thought about drinking. A year ago, I would have finished at least 12-16 beers to try and "get rid of" this situation. We all know that it would have still been there in the morning and now I would have felt like crap and still would have had to deal with it. Moral of the story is I am happy that I was able to handle a stressful situation without drinking. The sober mind won again!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Good for you! Alcohol never makes anything better.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job! I had to make that decision 8 years ago when my company moved. I was still drinking and it was the start of my real spiral down. Move or leave my 20 something year career. I stayed but in hindsight maybe should have went. Regardless drinking over the stress almost destroyed everything else in my life.
Handling these situations sober , like a mature adult, always makes these rough life turns easier to navigate.
Whatever you choose, you will do great!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

good job how it palys out for me would be like an early day from work then worried i'm gonna get fired because of that or something then comes the shame and the guilt that i needed to take an early day and what is wrong with me etc... But this beats the alternative and in time I've realized this is just how it is this is how I cope for now and i'd rather this then **** drunk etc...
Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sooner the better.

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
So yesterday, the president of my company comes into my office, closes the door, and says, what are the chances you would move to TX.
A few years back my wife was asked a question like that at her work. She should have just simply said, "no thank you." She eventully got out of the job from hell and returned to her old duties.

Don't be afraid, tell them that you prefer not to go.

Sooner the better.

M-Bob
Old 04-15-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great job, C23! you did the right & best thing!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wonderful!

I'm sure the news was a shock, but if you decide to move, I think it will all work out as long as you take things one at a time and don't get overwhelmed.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome C23 thanks for posting this
Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic job C23.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay strong!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those stressful uncomfortable feelings that I always tried to drink or drug away. I am still on medication for my panic/anxiety and I know what drinking will do, which is only make my anxiety worse. Thanks for your post.