Notices

Need some advice, please!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some advice, please!

OK, I drink 12 to 18 beers a night. Usually starts at 5:30 PM and finish at 10:00 PM. I want to quit, but just cant seem to put it down. Like if I don't drink i'm scared somethings gonna happen, like maybe a panic attack. I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago for a few months and really didn't have any major withdrawls, except for like 1 night of sweats and being on edge.
My drinking schedule is:
From 5:30 to 6:00 PM I drink 4 beers.
Then I go to the gym and come at 8 PM.
Then from 8 PM till 10:00 I have 12 more. Then I go to sleep.
I just cant seem to break the habit!!
Any Advice?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hunter,

Why not go to the gym at 5:30 instead of going home to drink? That might help to break the habit. Making changes in your routine is very helpful in early recovery.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I drank beer for energy....for food...for a reward...but mostly because I was thirsty...try drinking a healthy beverage because beer is not it! I know it is hard because beer seems so harmless but, it nearly destroyed my life and nearly killed me because of my bindging. It is so easy to bring home a 12 pack after work and pound them down. You have to make a change.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its taking that first step that's killing me. I just cant seem to not drink. Everyday I tell myself, "OK today is going to be the day!" And then back to the same old routine.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you have a strong commitment to quit drinking and take back your life? Or do you simply want to stop desiring the drink and hope that that's enough?

In the beginning changing your schedule, busying yourself with healthy activities is really important. But if the desire to change isn't strong, its very hard. I have to muscle through my desire to drink, especially in the beginning, and fully accept that I cannot control alcohol once I take that first drink.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I hear ya. Breaking habits are hard. Breaking addictions are hard, too. You have to convince yourself than it is time for change in your behavior. It starts with your thinking. Make a plan.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The ONLY thing that worked for me ... after years of struggling and trying many ways to 'Fix Myself' ...

The 12 Steps of AA, worked with a Sponsor.

Suggestion - do an online web search for Recovery Speaker Messages. Much is available and most for free. Another suggestion - listen to the messages based on the Steps, 1 thru 12.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You got to want to be sober more than you want to drink

Having a plan helps
Old 04-13-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get sober, you just haven't done it yet. As Soberwolf said, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What problems are you having because of your drinking? Didn't see any mentioned in your post.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like SW said, you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink. I never really thought about that a lot early on, but it's so true. You've got to want the things that sobriety bring more than what gratification you are getting out of drinking.

What are your motivating factors? You said going to the gym. Use conditioning or being in shape as a motivator to not drink tonight. Go to the gym earlier and stay longer, or do something after you get done with the gym other than going home to drink. Do what ever it takes to not drink tonight, beat that into your mind that you simply are not drinking today, it's not an option... and keep reminding yourself of that every minute if that's what it takes.

You've got the break the cycle, both physically and mentally. It's going to be painful for a while, but you can break through to a life of not drinking.

Figure out what motivates you and use those factors to stay away from the drinking tonight.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Sounds like my old schedule. As it has been said many times, you have to look deep inside yourself and determine why and if you have a true desire to quit drinking. For me, the anxiety, depression, mood swings, fog, lack of health, desire to better my marriage, and the example I was being to my children were my motivation, but it wasn't until I decided I wanted to quit for myself that it worked. I am about to hit 6 months and I have faith you can get her too. You just have to want it bad enough. Have you ever heard Eric Thomas' story about the kid and the old guru. It is geared toward being successful in life, but I really think you can replace sobriety with success and the message is clear. Give it a watch on Youtube.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely work on a plan. In my early recovery I would made make sure I was working out during my drinking hours to fill that void. You must really want it in order to work.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hunter

why not stay on SR a few nights instead of drinking - might give you a head start?

D
Old 04-13-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Changing habits can take focused hard work and it is very natural to feel lost while you are making new better habits.
12 to 18 beers in a two and half hour period is a lot of fluid in a short period of time...Perhaps try juicing or yummy teas to replace the habit of drinking something... Also, try doing something that keeps your hands busy, hobbies, jigsaw puzzles, video games..
Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hunter101 View Post
I just cant seem to break the habit!!
If it's a habit, it can be broken, and pretty easily.

If it's an addiction, it will be a lot tougher.

Since you've been on SR since 2012, I vote for the latter. Address the problem correctly and maybe you'll be successful.