Notices

Dogfight

Old 04-12-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dogfight

I'm dogsitting my youngest daughter's English Bulldog while she works tonight, and after dinner I thought it would be good for him and I to take a walk - for him to get rid of some energy (he just turned a year old last week), and for me to keep busy and not think about drinking.
The first block went fine, but then I see this little Jack Russell type terrier coming toward us out of the alley. Before I could get *my* dog to cross the street to avoid any kind of confrontation, this little dog bares his teeth and literally jumps on poor Mac with a vengeance. Mac has been socialized with other dogs and gets along fine, but has never encountered one that obviously doesn't like other dogs. He had no clue what to do.
This mean little dog wasn't giving up, either. I pulled him off of Mac five times and attempted to get Mac away, but this little shoot just kept after him. I was trying to move Mac and keep between him and that little freaker, and when I would stomp toward that son of a gun, he'd bare his teeth and growl at me (wasn't scared, more exasperated and wondering how the heck I was going to get Mac safely back home).
FINALLY this girl of maybe 13/14 comes out of the house we're in front of, yelling the dog's name, which of course is having zero effect on this little snot. She finally gets her little brother to get a leash (perhaps this has happened before, because that's immediately what she hollered for instead of grabbing her dog by the collar), which he throws outside because he's too scared to even come out of the door... she gets it on him and literally drags the dog from hell, snarling and barkng, into the house. Mac was totally bewildered but not physically hurt, and is now sleeping, thank God! Did I ever feel like a shot of vodka! But I didn't, and this is the tail end of day 4. No pun intended!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The way I understand it this little bugger who attacked was not on a leash? I feel sorry for the dog AND person who attacks my dog (who is always leashed). Sorry that happened, I know it can be scary as heck.

I was attacked by two adult German Shepard once while I was working and I've never viewed dogs quite the same.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you and your dog are ok impossibledays

D
Old 04-12-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

This is a tip about dog fights and works best with 2 people. Grab each dog by their rear legs and lift them in the air. The dogs can't bite you and it freaks them out to the point of stopping the fight
Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's happened to me several times while walking my two dogs. Once we were followed home by a nasty large dog.

Glad you didn't drink over it.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad Mac is safe. It's incredibly irresponsible to allow a dog to run free, unleashed, incredibly irresponsible. It doesn't sound like the owner had any control over the Jack Russell at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The dog was running around alone- no leash or owner with it, although the owner's home was next to the alley it came running out of- so they either didn't know the dog was out of their fenced back yard or didn't think it was an issue.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you and your dog are okay Impossibledays. When I was walking my German Shepherd a dog jumped off it's second floor balcony and attacked my dog. My dog was dog friendly and didn't even attempt to fight back. It scared the heck out of me and luckily she didn't get hurt. I am glad you and your dog are okay and you didn't drink
Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds dreadful. ....I would report it to animal services.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, had doggie calls just like that, and I did drink over it years ago. After walking my lil dog Max on a lead, all legal and such. Here comes a freakin pit bull running free, attacked him, he ran into the street, got hit. Almost died , horrible . To the tune of 3000 dollars for me to save him, his back legs were never the same. Called the cops, that pit bulls owner got sited, but my dog was never the same. I had a small claims lawyer, but you can't get money owed to you from a turnip, right? My only justice was knowing the owner, did spend a night in jail. And paid out massive fines. But, my sweet Max, was never the same. Leash laws?? That's why they are there.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scary.

I remember this happening to me and my Bassett Hound as a kid / young teen. Returning from a walk and a mad black dog was lurking behind a bin back and just seemed to come from nowhere. Luckily for me a neighbour was washing his car and chucked a bucket of water over the aggressive dog (another little one). Both me and my dog were in a state of shock afterwards and I was always scared it'd happen again. Never did happen again though. Ever. It's pretty rare.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can't stand people who do that im sorry that happened
Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was walking my rottweiler and my mastiff one day and we had a loose pit bull come charging at us. Boy was I scared. But I remembered that there are pit bulls who are people pleasers so I took a chance and stepped in front of my dogs and said in my loudest most confident voice "No! GO HOME!". And by gosh, he stopped, and started heading the opposite direction. Probably just luck I guess. But to tell you the truth I am scared to walk my dogs due to loose dogs because trying to intervene in a fight with them could be deadly. At the very least, horrifically ugly. Anyway I am sorry that little turd hassled you.