Notices

Reasons to stop drinking

Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reasons to stop drinking

I quit last year for 5 months and have been drinking for a year. I convinced myself I was managing it. I have a lot of reasons my mind is telling me to keep drinking. I'm starting to see some reasons to stop but I keep convincing myself I can manage. I have a beautiful family and 2 kids under 3 years old.

I want to make the decision to stop. I have not drank today and I don't intend to. I tried as but did not feel comfortable. Any help is appreciated
Thank you
Old 04-11-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi David79...congratulations on your decision not to drink today. I think there is a thread here on SR where people can commit to not drinking for 24 hrs...and can then do the same for the next 24 hrs and so on. Since I stopped drinking in January I have experienced so many unexpected positives that I had not considered when I made the decision to stop drinking. I had got to the point where I was so sick of my emotional reliance on alcohol that anything was better than drinking...as it turns out there are SOOOO many great reasons to stay sober. Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 04-11-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi David,

I know how you feel. If you're convincing yourself that you're "managing it", then you already know you're not really. Good job on the decision to not drink today. I made that same decision today, even though it was really hard and I was VERY tempted (and, honestly, still am). It's why I came here to post. Hang in there.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reasons to stop drinking can be very subjective.
I'm sure if you read back through your old posts you'll find many reasons to quit David

I find this list is helpful too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
D
Old 04-12-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

The 24h thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-124-a.html
Old 04-12-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I finally stopped drinking when I got sick and tired of waking up feeling horrible and hating myself.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi David,

Good to hear you've not drank today - something that was said to me earlier today that may resonate with you and help give you something to focus on, those 2 beautiful kids you have are going to spend the rest of their lives trying to make you proud - do this for them and make them proud of you.

You can do it.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan really helps but for me I had to accept what the facts were & that's I can't drink safely or responsibly because I am an alcoholic you don't have to use that word if you don't want to but it keeps me accountable

I got to the point where I was thinking why is alcohol so important to me ? it was simply because I was feeding an out of control addiction and the more I fed it the worse my life got

I choose not to live like that today sobriety can be forever or if that is overwhelming a day at a time really helps

bottom line is my life got better when I stopped drinking
Old 04-12-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi David. I hope things are going well for you today.

My son is now 11 and I hate that I've wasted so much time on drinking rather than spending time with him. It's a horrible feeling. But one day at a time, we can change!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Hi David,

Good to hear you've not drank today - something that was said to me earlier today that may resonate with you and help give you something to focus on, those 2 beautiful kids you have are going to spend the rest of their lives trying to make you proud - do this for them and make them proud of you.

You can do it.
Wow, thank you. This brought tears to my eyes
Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I didn't drink yesterday or today. I feel good. I am looking forward to waking up feeling clear.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It only gets better David79.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best