Notices

Lingering effects

Old 04-11-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lingering effects

My mood is s**t today, and for no particular reason. I have a lingering side effect of drinking that is starting to irritate me. When I was actively drinking, I would go to sleep nice and relaxed (of course) and sleep pretty soundly and about 4:30am I would wake up, but it wasn't a groggy wake up, it was like being shot out of a cannon. My eyes would open, I would panic, heart would start to race and sometimes I would even gasp for air. I went from deep sleep to wide awake in 15 seconds. Could never go back to sleep, so I would end up getting up. It was terrible. Well, its happening now but much milder. I wake up and for some reason a slight panic sets in. The main difference (I think) now is I know I wasn't drinking the night before and there will be no hangover, so I am able to fall back asleep for another hour or so.

It happened this morning and it has left me in a cranky mood. Luckily I'm home alone so no one has to deal with me. Hope everyone is well.

Lastly, in another (old)thread there was a link to a reddit thread (I honestly don't know how reddit really works), but anyway it was about alcoholism and there were some pretty insightful posts/information. If anyone wants me to post it, let me know, I have it bookmarked. If that is off limits...mods let me know.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sucks Thomas. Sleep is so important. I know, for me, I have low blood sugar. Sometimes, either when falling asleep or early in the morning as you have described, I will get tachycardia, which causes the anxiety for me. I try to keep really well hydrated and make sure I have eaten enough healthy carbs (nothing processed) at dinner so my blood sugar doesn't fall. Seems to work for me. Worst case I eat some kind of fast absorbing carb, like honey or juice, and that slows my heart rate and calms me.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that happened, Jeff. It does take a good while for the many effects of drinking to go away. I find it scary when I realize how deeply drinking colored everything in my life. I usually never remember dreams but about a month or two ago I had a miserable drinking dream.

Fortunately, I don't think about drinking often now but it can still surprise me now and then.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure how long you have been sober but it took me a few weeks to get back into a regular sleeping schedule. If it continues I would speak to my doc about it
Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? It took me a bit to get back into a regular sleeping pattern as well.

It helps me to shut off TV, lights, radio etc. at a set time to winnnnnnnnnnnnd down. No more stimulation. Bunny is done and closing the gates for the evening.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sleep will balance out eventually jeff
Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I hope that your sleep patterns smooth out over time.

Have you ever tried just lying still and meditating in the hope you will drift off to sleep?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

once sleep patterns are disrupted, for whatever reason, they can take a long time to settle down and for a NEW sleep pattern to be established. at least that has been my own personal experience. its the whole circadian rhythm thing. shift workers experience the same type of problems.....after they FORCE their bodies to go against the natural rhythm of sleep and adjust to being awake at night, and trying to sleep during the day, if they then go OFF 2nd/3rd shift its exponentially more difficult to RESET the pattern.

which is another way to say......time takes time. i know the waking up thing sux (man do i know!!!) but at least you ARE able to fall back asleep eventually. there are lots of different methods of "sleep hygeine" that may help - give 'em all a try, but give them time as well. no quick fix here.

also when you do wake for good, make sure to take a couple moments to reflect on gratitude for waking up sober. imprint new messages.

hang in there! see ya at 3am!!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
How long have you been sober? It took me a bit to get back into a regular sleeping pattern as well.

It helps me to shut off TV, lights, radio etc. at a set time to winnnnnnnnnnnnd down. No more stimulation. Bunny is done and closing the gates for the evening.
Hi Bunny, I don't count days, but its been a couple months. Basically been drunk once since May of last year. Had two other nights in which I sat down to drink, drank a half a drink or so and poured it out.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Jeff, I hope that your sleep patterns smooth out over time.

Have you ever tried just lying still and meditating in the hope you will drift off to sleep?
Hi Anna, I take melatonin before I go to bed and its been a lifesaver. I should add that this panicky situation is no consistent. Its fairly rare, but it reminds me of my drinking days and sets me off a little. Overall everything else has been really rewarding.