Notices

Third times a charm?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Third times a charm?

My first major attempt at sobriety was about a year ago where I lasted almost five months. In my second major attempt I only made it to a month. I've gradually ended up right back where I started, and drink quiet heavily multiple times a week.

I'm considered clinically depressed. I've been battling one of the biggest depressions I've ever been in the last few months, and my social anxiety has gotten to the level where I don't feel safe in public unless I'm drunk. The truth is I'm either drunk, or lay in bed all day feeling sad. I think a lot of it is my environment; my apartment is strewn with beer cans, cloths, and trash everywhere.

I tend to mostly drink by myself these days, which I know is a big warning sign. The only times I go out is when I want more and the liquor stores are closed.

I was considering going for a third run at sobriety even though I'm in a state right now where that may be difficult. Just some thoughts...
Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The third time will be the charm if you make it that way. Do you want to be sober more than you want to drink? If so, you'll be able to stay sober.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

It's really up to you to be successful. You'll need a good plan in place. I also suffer from depression. Don't expect that to go away with sobriety BUT you have the opportunity to work on that if you are sober. I don't think there's any hope if your drinking all the time. You'll still have bad days so when making your plan make sure you have something in it for the times you feel like drinking. For me it's going for a walk and getting out of the environment that I get cravings. Even as short as 15 minutes is often enough. If you can, work on cleaning up your place. I understand if your feeling depressed that could feel like an overwhelming task. But as you add days of sobriety it shouldn't feel as daunting.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could have written your post myself right down to the social anxiety and messy apartment. I'm also suffering depression mainly due to being unhirable by any company. people won't hire me, women won't date me cuz I'm broke, my family are also drunks so they are useless.

However, don't give up ever. I'll give up when I'm dead. Until then there's always hope
Old 04-10-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talz, you've probably already know that alcohol is a depressant, which makes your feelings of sadness worse. On top of that, you're unmotivated to do anything about it because, well, alcohol makes you unmotivated! So it's a vicious cycle. As far as social anxiety goes, I'd bet you're probably a lot more charming when you're sober than when you're drunk. I'm sure this isn't the kind of life you want to lead. Fortunately, you've gotten sober before so you know you can do it! It's normal to have setbacks, just start again and have a plan in place. Don't sit home alone and let alcohol tempt you. Get out, go for a walk, exercise, etc. Go to a movie. Change your routine -- and stay on this board, there are a lot of helpful and caring people here.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan helps loads
Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have depression. It's so hard, especially when you feel as though alcohol helps. But it doesn't.

No real advice except take one day at a time and trust that better days are ahead.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Third time wasn't a charm for me. Not giving up on myself was one of the charms though.