Notices

Alt beverages are the in thing!

Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alt beverages are the in thing!

We frequently see inquiries here on SR about what beverages people choose in sobriety. I thought of that recently when I read a couple newspaper articles about a fairly new shop in the metro area where I live that sells only pop. (Or soda, or sodapop, depending on your region.) More than 1,000 varieties.

I went there this morning and it was a kick. I came back with a case of different kinds of pop, including blueberry, pumpkin pie, prickly pear and a variety of ginger concoctions. My mother was visiting so she bought some to take home to the teen-age grandkids, including flavors I passed on such as "Zombie Brain Juice" and "Dog Drool." And "Leninade" -- a party in every bottle! And "Fidel's Havana Banana"!

According to the articles I read, this is a hot new trend and there are about 700 stores nationwide that sell only pop. Maybe there's a pop shop near you?!

And, for that very special connoisseur:

Now, back to my utterly delicious chocolate pop, made with real cacao.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Looks amazing Ven!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wait until trachs sees the candied bacon soda this is awesome Ven

chocolate soda that's amazing i have to try & find if there is anything like this in the uk
Old 04-10-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Wait until trachs sees the candied bacon soda this is awesome Ven
Yeah, I definitely thought there are a few here who'd go nuts over that one!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 04-10-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Mmmm...bacon.

Craft ginger beers and ginger ales are big around here right now. Also, the asian and hispanic groceries have bewildering "soda pop" selections.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Liquid bacon and dog drool?! Whoa! I like the idea of Zombie Brain Juice

I don't know much about the pop variety but my thing is herbal teas. I mix spices into them, fruit juices and syrup... Maybe next time I cook a slice of bacon in them, see what elixir comes of it.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Aellyce, you are familiar with my recipe for brown sugar bacon, aren't you? A perfect accompaniment to tea.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Brown sugar bacon sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, lol. But it does sound good.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can also get a soda stream and make all sorts of syrups for more exotic drinks if you like experimenting with different flavors. It's not cheap, but is much cheaper than continuing to drink alcohol. I really get into the lavender sodas.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Liquid bacon and dog drool?! Whoa! I like the idea of Zombie Brain Juice

I don't know much about the pop variety but my thing is herbal teas. I mix spices into them, fruit juices and syrup... Maybe next time I cook a slice of bacon in them, see what elixir comes of it.
Aellyce, I also became a tea fan in sobriety.

The pop thing is fun because it's something new. But bacon? No way, no how, never.

Strategery, the lavender-infused soda sounds heavenly!

Last edited by Venecia; 04-10-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Strat made me think of lavender!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Aellyce, you are familiar with my recipe for brown sugar bacon, aren't you? A perfect accompaniment to tea.
No, where can I find it?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Take thick cut bacon and cover in brown sugar. I like to use a pie dish or a rectangular baking dish and fill with brown sugar. Than I press the thick cut bacon into the brown sugar making sure that there is a good coating on each side of each slice.

Then foil a cookie sheet. Place a metal oven rack or grill over the cookie sheet. Then place bacon slices evenly across the grill making sure edges do not touch. Bake for about 20-30 mins at 400 degrees rotating the pan every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
---
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Venecia, I think Fox9 did a story on that place. Is it in Minneapolis? Looks pretty neat.

This year since I'm not drinking I'm thinking about going to the farmer's markets. Lots of good food there.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jeff, it's in Spring Lake Park on County Road 10. Here's the link to the Pioneer Press article about it:

Minnesota's Blue Sun Soda has you covered on pop

This area has great farmers markets!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Take thick cut bacon and cover in brown sugar. I like to use a pie dish or a rectangular baking dish and fill with brown sugar. Than I press the thick cut bacon into the brown sugar making sure that there is a good coating on each side of each slice.

Then foil a cookie sheet. Place a metal oven rack or grill over the cookie sheet. Then place bacon slices evenly across the grill making sure edges do not touch. Bake for about 20-30 mins at 400 degrees rotating the pan every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
---
I've tried trachs recipe a few times I love it
Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
We frequently see inquiries here on SR about what beverages people choose in sobriety. I thought of that recently when I read a couple newspaper articles about a fairly new shop in the metro area where I live that sells only pop. (Or soda, or sodapop, depending on your region.) More than 1,000 varieties. I went there this morning and it was a kick. I came back with a case of different kinds of pop, including blueberry, pumpkin pie, prickly pear and a variety of ginger concoctions. My mother was visiting so she bought some to take home to the teen-age grandkids, including flavors I passed on such as "Zombie Brain Juice" and "Dog Drool." And "Leninade" -- a party in every bottle! And "Fidel's Havana Banana"! According to the articles I read, this is a hot new trend and there are about 700 stores nationwide that sell only pop. Maybe there's a pop shop near you?! And, for that very special connoisseur: Now, back to my utterly delicious chocolate pop, made with real cacao.
That looks like a shop in my area that sell the same variety of sodas. It's expensive to stock up, but it's a fun occasional treat. They have something for every taste.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I live in New England and there's nothing I like better than a raspberry lime rickey on a hot summer's day!!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know many who create their own "sodas" at home. Mineral water and whatever berry, fruit, veggie combo infused. We tried some with cucumber and, man, was that REFRESHING. . .and no sugar. It really IS fun to become creative with the fun drinks one can create.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

BACON SODA??? Noooooo!!!!!!!! I love bacon and I love soda, but no no no. I'm with Venicia on this one!