Notices

Hello everyone!

Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

What's up everyone my name is Nate and I'm a alcoholic. I'm currently 5 days sober and been doing it on my own. I have a wife and 2 year old daughter as well as a new one on the way.

I have been drinking since I was 15 years old. It's been outta control ever since. Fights, DUIs, lost girlfriends, jobs. Always loved it. Anyway, long story short. I'm gonna lose my family and my life if I don't stop. I don't have time to go to classes considering I have 2 jobs and watch my daughter till my wife comes home. I'm just here for some support cause I have nobody to talk or vent too haha.
I'm 5 days in, that's a pretty good start and so far I feel ok. The 2nd and 3rd night were not fun at all, but I got this
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go on 5 days Nate Glad you are here and congrats on your wise decision to quit drinking. It will take patience and perseverance but the benefits are worth it. There are many supportive people here, welcome!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bearsdad. Congrats on five days!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do make a recovery plan! I sobered up so many times on my own with plan in place. You will strengthen your resolve and learn how to break your negative habits with a strong plan in place.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Do make a recovery plan! I sobered up so many times on my own with plan in place. You will strengthen your resolve and learn how to break your negative habits with a strong plan in place.
Thanks for the input! What you you mean by a recovery plan? Such as what I need to do differently?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new also but if there's something I'm not sure of I just type the words in the search box. There are so many helpful posts on here especially about what to expect when giving up, time frames and feelings etc. It's not an easy process and 5 days is so well done, congratulations.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Good decision Nate- you have a lot goin on.

I'm not sure I had a written down plan. But I realised I had to change a lot of things otherwise I'd end up in the same place. I did avoid "places" and "people" who were associated with drinking. I did a lot of reading of AA literature, and a few 'giving up drinking' books. My mind was racing for a few months so finding things to do was important. The other important part for me was the support of a couple of people I am close to and checking in to SR daily.

I like what some people say 'do the next right thing'
Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Hi Nate,

Welcome to the other side. Since it sounds like you have detoxed successfully, the challenge now becomes maintaining your motivation and recognizing all the BS reasons for drinking again that your addicted brain will throw at you. Stick around and read up!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome BearsDad22 - I'm a newbie just like you. Five days in is a really good start - good for you! I'll be rooting for ya!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I will definitely come up with some sort of plan. I have made sure that my number 1 priority will be to not pick up that 1st drink. I have so much to live for.

I'm a little nervous for next weekend though... My sister in law is getting married and their family are all drinkers😳 my wife is behind me 100 percent and i know she will help. But I'm old drinking pals with a bunch of them (we moved away 3 years ago)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Much of the first year is a process of learning to deal with those kind of situations. You might want to avoid the stag party, if there is such a party or any similar drinkfest. As for the wedding reception or any other events you will be attending, you might want to drink colas or sparkling water with ice and a lime wedge and people will assume it's a mixed drink. Also, have some excuse ready, such as you are driving, health reasons, on the wagon for a while, etc. in case somebody asks why not. In your situation I would probably not be declaring you've quit drinking for a while. Finally, if somebody is rudely pressuring you to drink after you tell them you aren't, be prepared to withstand the pressure and get out of there. Sometimes drinking buddies can feel quite threatened when somebody leaves the pack or for whatever reason pressure you, impugn your manhood, etc.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Nate!
Jonathan
Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Nate! Five days sober is a great start. I hope the support here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Nate! It's good to have you with us. Congrats on taking charge and setting yourself on a path to getting your life right.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went out with my sister one night to a club before I had actually admitted to having an alcohol addiction (which she doesn't) but she matched me drink for drink and where I was staggering she was laughing, having fun and guiding me home. What I didn't know was that every second or more drinks that she had were water. I'm not saying have a drink just maybe your wife could get them for you and water and ice looks just like vodka. It had me fooled.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Nate congrats on day 5
Old 04-10-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You should be so proud keep on believing xx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
springglowwelcome.jpg (16.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nate

D
Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Nate - Welcome!

Here's a link regarding making a plan...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Congrats on 5 days, you can do this.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Warm welcome Nate. 5 days is a really great start and for me those very early ones were amongst the hardest of all.
Good luck!
zz