Notices

Welcome!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for the timely reminder. I remember well the kind responses I got to my first post. I knew I was in a good place.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

I couldn't agree more thanks for posting this D
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Dee. Thanks for the post. Just curious, were you referring to me in your OP? As you know, I had a bit of a delusional dip before I got on seroquel and maybe I was (one of) the poster(s) you're referring to? I can imagine that people would be uncomfortable about what I was posting during the dip.

And, as you probably also know, I come from a direct family. It may seem like being rude to each other from the outside, but it's not how we view it. And sometimes I have trouble adjusting when communicating with others.

So I can imagine that I'm the person you're referring to. I wouldn't be surprised. And if it is the case, I apologize. I always try to make an effort to be caring and helpful.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Mike, I'm sure Dee wasn't referring to anyone in particular . It's just a great reminder to ALL of us that kindness goes a long way. Thanks, Dee!
Xoxo
Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
There's an art to speaking the truth in a manner that doesn't cut.
Well put!

It's not always WHAT you saw but HOW you say it!

Eloquence is definitely an art!!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

SR, is like family to me. The friendships and support have become an important part of my day
Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. There are approximately 4-5 consitant supportive people here that have really helped me over the last 5 months. I am very Thankful for their positive contributions to my sometimes meaningless threads. I am very grateful to those and you.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

These are important reminders. What I feel sometimes happens is that we interpret posts beyond what they are meant to be (read between the lines more then in the lines). It's easy to infuse other people's shares and experiences with own features and experiences too much especially on an online forum where the only source of information is what we all choose to reveal and how it's written. This can sometimes become distorted without our even noticing the assumptions, distortions and exaggerations. I am saying this because I am guilty of this myself sometimes, especially when the content and style of the post or poster strikes very familiar chords or it cuts into something I am especially sensitive to.

I think different people also look for and need different kinds of support and this is not always easy to judge in the virtual world (not even easy in the 3D world). Constructive criticism is always a form of art... Whatever the case, in general, as a group, I think SR as a whole is the most supportive and insightful online community I've encountered. It's good to be reminded to keep it that way
Old 04-10-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

SR means the world to me. Thank you, Dee, for this reminder to me and all others who post here.

May I add a request? I'd like to ask posters to refrain from using all caps.

I'm old enough to have been around for the dawn of electronic communications, back when all caps was widely recognized as "screaming." In fact, I worked for an employer whose code of conduct prohibited using all capital letters in email as a way of promoting civility. I think social media has diluted that, unfortunately.

It makes sense. Scream at me and I will shut down fast.

This request isn't directed at any individual poster. Nor am I offering this in response to some kinds of posts ... e.g., "Yes, I ate the WHOLE carton of ice cream."

It's about how we offer feedback to others. Chances are, if I looked back at the 3,000-plus posts I've made, I'm sure I'm guilty of it, too. If we stop and think about how we respond to others, think about how they would want to be treated, not about our own communication preferences.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!