Notices

Benefits of not drinking for longer periods.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benefits of not drinking for longer periods.

I've noticed that for quite a few people the first few months of sobriety is easier than month 3,4,5 and beyond. Was just wondering why, do you think the immediate positives of not consuming alcohol just start to be taken for granted and become the norm?
What major positives have you noticed after 6 months of sobriety, that you wouldn't have in the early stages?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Zlh I was about to write a list but that would be what happened to me & what I put in to it I think a excellent idea for you would be journalling to keep track of achievements no matter how small it all counts

Wait till you start having epiphany's thats a joy
Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have 6 months yet so take my post for what it's worth.

After I went and got medically detoxed life was great. The dr. was very kind and comforting, not judgey at all. My hands weren't shaking, I wasn't going through a fifth of vodka a day, and I had a lot of support. I was getting my life back on track and feeling good about it.

The honeymoon period ended and I relapsed hard. I gave up on myself and basically said "screw it". I was going between 20 and 30 standard drinks a day, throwing up blood, and only able to drink about 24 ounces before I had to stick a toothbrush down my throat to empty my stomach .

I still don't really know why, and I don't think the medical professionals really do either. The one thing I do know, is if I don't pick up a drink, I don't have to go through that hell again.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Zlh I was about to write a list but that would be what happened to me & what I put in to it I think a excellent idea for you would be journalling to keep track of achievements no matter how small it all counts

Wait till you start having epiphany's thats a joy
I am really interested in what others have experienced, I wish I had made a blog from day one tbh. I feel at the moment I have gone full circle and just feel quite flat. Was hoping things improve again in a few months.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Absolutely nothing positive happens by staying sober for longer periods. What staying sober for longer periods allows you to do is to make more positive things happen. After a period of time, our focus stops being on "not drinking or drugging" and instead doing positive things with our time. Probably one of the biggest issues that brings folks back to the DOC, is expecting things to get better just because they stopped drinking. If we don't do anything different after stopping, then nothing is different. In fact for some of us it is worse as we still live in the same "stuff", but don't have a buzz. Just my take on things.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would disagree that nothing positive happens by staying sober for longer periods of time, but agree with the general premise put forth by the OP.

One of the positives that I have noticed is that the compulsion and attractiveness that a drink holds with longer periods of time of sobriety, is lost. It took me probably about the better part of a year of sobriety to get there. I still get cravings, but the lure of a drink just isn't there anymore.

I've also noticed significant improvements with memory, attention, and being able to express myself with each month of sobriety.

Just looking back, life is very different now (almost 1 year and 5 months of sobriety) compared to 3 months, 6 months, even 10 months of sobriety. It's been a gradual shift with improvements over time and it's not been puppies and rainbows by any stretch, but I personally feel that sober life has gotten better with every month that passes.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are MANY positives that have come with sobriety:

No more panic attacks and sudden feelings of impending gloom and doom

No wasted days spent hungover

Better cognitive function

Feeling more comfortable in my own skin

Standing up for myself more and speaking up- not just "drinking at" conflicts and problems and allowing the trouble to remain

Better focus on life and doing the things I want to do instead of life revolving around drinking and it's effects

More confidence

Less of a chance I'll die a terrible death due to illness brought on by alcoholism

Feeling of being in control and no longer ring a slave to an addictive substance

Becoming a better person

Many of these came fairly early in sobriety for me. They all help keep me sober, because I do not want to return to that hell.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm back to being a newcomer again due to a recent relapse, but had 2 years of solid sobriety before that I can only say good things about. This does not mean there were no difficult/challenging periods, and for me, they would come and go during the first year in a quite non-linear fashion. For me the first few months were by far the most difficult due to intense cravings for alcohol. They mostly went away after ~6 months - that was a major positive for me because I don't tend to have much other intense hangups holding me back from sobriety except the *** cravings in the moment.

What other positives: I had my motivation back, engaged in social connections again, repaired many things in my professional life and found joy in my work again, made new friends, got married to someone who is good for me and very different from quite a few other people and relationships that were not good for me. I also had more and more periods of mental peace and contentment.

What I would do differently (and will now, getting sober after a relapse): take things more slowly and be less ambitious. My mind tends to be hyperactive and overstimulated, and this is often also reflected in my doing things in somewhat manic ways. Not good. Relaxation, balance and peace should be a priority for me, and that went quite well for a while especially in my second sober year, I felt content and happy. But then I picked up the bottle again unfortunately. So for now a major goal and anticipation is better mental stability, but it'll need work and time.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Boxer

Aellyce, Sooo much good in your post. I relate to a lot of it, thanks for that.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Being sober allows me to see who I am and gives me the opportunity to work on who I want to be
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think the initial benefits are largely physical. No more hangovers, acute physical problems clear up, etc.

I tend to agree with tofit that a lot of people ( me included ) expected some magic transformation to just "happen" because I quit drinking. And initially it did happen...my hangovers went away, my GERD and other physical issues cleared up, etc. But after that i still had all the same problems I had before and during my drinking.

It's said over and over here, but i'll say it again: "not drinking" and "living sober" are completely different things. Living sober means learning how to deal with life and it's challenges up front, rather than running away and drinking. It is difficult and it won't feel good at first - but once you learn to do it it becomes a way of life. And it feels good knowing you can do it.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree with Scott.

And, I don't think I ever take the benefits - physical, mental & spiritual - for granted. Not a day goes by that I'm not grateful for where I am. I came close to losing everything, and when that happens, it's hard to ever take recovery for granted.

As long as you learn and grow and live the best life you can, you will continue to feel the benefits of recovery.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, I agree with Scott.

And, I don't think I ever take the benefits - physical, mental & spiritual - for granted. Not a day goes by that I'm not grateful for where I am. I came close to losing everything, and when that happens, it's hard to ever take recovery for granted.

As long as you learn and grow and live the best life you can, you will continue to feel the benefits of recovery.
Pretty much says everything that needs to be said.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

+1 to a lot of things that have been said already.

I'll add the fact that the more time you put between yourself and the behaviors and degradation associated with getting loaded, the less poignant the guilt and shame regarding the past becomes. You have the opportunity to change who you are and to become free of the shackles of the past.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm still very early in sobriety--day 27--but just wanted to say I got a lot out of the replies here and would love to hear more. Thanks to everyone who has shared so far.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

By six months I was feeling so much better and my sleep was wonderful. I no longer woke up hating myself and wishing I were dead. And waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post

Better focus on life and doing the things I want to do instead of life revolving around drinking and it's effects

Feeling of being in control and no longer ring a slave to an addictive substance.

Many of these came fairly early in sobriety for me.
Yes. This sums it all up.

Not having a hangover was an immediate benefit. I was hungover 365 days a year before.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
+1 to a lot of things that have been said already.

I'll add the fact that the more time you put between yourself and the behaviors and degradation associated with getting loaded, the less poignant the guilt and shame regarding the past becomes. You have the opportunity to change who you are and to become free of the shackles of the past.
I second this. Every word.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Absolutely nothing positive happens by staying sober for longer periods. What staying sober for longer periods allows you to do is to make more positive things happen. After a period of time, our focus stops being on "not drinking or drugging" and instead doing positive things with our time. Probably one of the biggest issues that brings folks back to the DOC, is expecting things to get better just because they stopped drinking. If we don't do anything different after stopping, then nothing is different. In fact for some of us it is worse as we still live in the same "stuff", but don't have a buzz. Just my take on things.
Though I agree with you totfit, about things staying the same as before. It's the same life but without alcohol. I do think after the initial physical changes which are pretty instant and gratifying....a few months on I am noticing a much sharper brain, better memory, the ability to listen to others and show empathy, not be self centred plus save money. So I am noticing some new positives which I am hoping will only get better. Those are things which I would start to lose again if I went back to drinking tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think it's getting easier in the third month, for me at least.