Notices

Benefits of not drinking for longer periods.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

23 months. I look fantastic.

~Bunnez
Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

One thing I'm noticing about mood is that very few things can make me angry or upset as it used when I was drinking.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

New in Recovery Too

Hi,

I just wanted to say hello. Fortunately I live in an area where there are tons of groups and I have already received two Portland Area Inter-Group Meeting Booklets with days, times, and places. I am lucky that my first meeting was right across the street at a church. What I'm getting from your post is that maybe you feel overlooked for being a newcomer? If that is the case please go to different groups until you feel comfortable. Get your phone lists and call at least one or two people every day and introduce yourself. If you are serious, then let everyone know you are serious about your recovery and the only other suggestion to help you make friends is to listen and speak..but one thing I noticed is that when I walk up to members after the group and say I like their share then they start to warm up to me. Don't let early sobriety and opinions hinder you. Remember that we only have one day at a time no matter how long we have been sober. There are many I have met that have gone out after over 20 years. The pompous and arrogant alcoholic has a problem too. Just remember that we are all there because we are sick. We have a real problem. If you don't keep at it NO MATTER WHAT. It can kill you! I have learned a lot in my first 16 days. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hmmmmmm LOTS of good things!

One is that I FEEL so much better. Never wake up with guilt or dread.

Another is that I LOOK so much better. Lost 30 pounds and the bloat, bags under eyes.

I can LOOK everyone in the eye. Never any jitteriness or shaking. Don't worry about stale alcohol coming from breath or pores!

I accomplish more. No more just sitting on the couch numb with a glass in hand.

Just got back from first sober vacation. Had more fun than I would have had with alcohol. Spent a lot less too!

OH, there are so many good things. I can't think of a single bad thing....but could probably type for HOURS about good changes!!!

I did have "flat period" around 6 to 9 months. Just keep pushing through, it does get better!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have had my brain altered by alcohol for the last 45 years....I started drinking at 5 years old....

Now clean for nearly a year for the first time in 45 years...every day is a new experience...minor changes mentally and physically for the positive.

I am less prone to anxiety etc, better stamina, more self aware.

No bad days, but bad times here and there everyday. External and internal stress. Things like my diet, and how much i sleep are the big influences now. Not booze like before.

If I eat a spinich salad I will feel amazing...but if I eat greasy fried chicken w mac and cheese....pretty much feel damaged.

Sleep 4 hours and go to work...ouch...sleep 7...yay!

We here are all educated now on all things booze related....there is nothing good about booze...absolutely nothing.

I got through the detox...changed my life style...non drinker here.

Alcohol is poison.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
One thing I'm noticing about mood is that very few things can make me angry or upset as it used when I was drinking.
I feel the same.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Blisswithin, I am definitely with you on the mood! I am literally on the same level all day everyday. BUT.....that is rather a strange feeling for me! I've never been level headed or calm and sensible before, I do find myself thinking when will the real me show her ugly head again!!
Old 04-09-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Absolutely nothing positive happens by staying sober for longer periods. What staying sober for longer periods allows you to do is to make more positive things happen. After a period of time, our focus stops being on "not drinking or drugging" and instead doing positive things with our time. Probably one of the biggest issues that brings folks back to the DOC, is expecting things to get better just because they stopped drinking. If we don't do anything different after stopping, then nothing is different. In fact for some of us it is worse as we still live in the same "stuff", but don't have a buzz. Just my take on things.
[QUOTE=Recovery29;5895887]Hi,

I just wanted to say hello. Fortunately I live in an area where there are tons of groups and I have already received two Portland Area Inter-Group Meeting Booklets with days, times, and places. I am lucky that my first meeting was right across the street at a church. What I'm getting from your post is that maybe you feel overlooked for being a newcomer? If that is the case please go to different groups until you feel comfortable. Get your phone lists and call at least one or two people every day and introduce yourself. If you are serious, then let everyone know you are serious about your recovery and the only other suggestion to help you make friends is to listen and speak..but one thing I noticed is that when I walk up to members after the group and say I like their share then they start to warm up to me. Don't let early sobriety and opinions hinder you. Remember that we only have one day at a time no matter how long we have been sober. There are many I have met that have gone out after over 20 years. The pompous and arrogant alcoholic has a problem too. Just remember that we are all there because we are sick. We have a real problem. If you don't keep at it NO MATTER WHAT. It can kill you! I have learned a lot in my first 16 days. Good luck! [/QUO

Thanks for that Recovery 29,.I am no where near ready to reach out by calling people in person. Unfortunately, I am quite insular and would not feel comfortable calling somebody and ask for help. I can just about post on SR due to annomininty,that's how things will have to proceed for me.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Waking up sober and respecting myself in the morning never gets old. But I only have about 6 months under my belt so I can't speak to the future benefits.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Recovery!!

For me not drinking and mastering not drinking through various changes in habits, tools, resources took a couple of months, but as others have said, not drinking is only half of the learning curve, because mere abstinence simply created a whole lot of time on my own in my house alone, but as I was so concentrated on not drinking, so much mental energy being used time went by, and yeah maybe it was easier, it was all about the physical withdrawal, the honeymoon period lasted for a while.

The real battles came in my mind, the first occasion, invite to a wedding, first birthday, first Xmas, New Years, being Irish, St Patrick's day, when the physical withdrawal subsided simply sitting in on a weekend all of a sudden became tougher, dealing with invites out for drinks, drinking buddies creating hassle, work nights out, the mental battles inside my mind grew and grew.

The real work came in building a life, a Sober life, new hobbies, new interests, new projects, what did I want to do with my life and that for me was the missing piece of the puzzle, and at 3/4 months I wasn't focused on that and so there was a fork in the road, I found myself at a crossroads, the next step in the Sober journey.

Those that push on have every chance of making it, those that crack having only put all their chips on abstinence will find it difficult, we need to develop a new lifestyle to accompany our decision to not drink, in my experience that made all the difference!!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Purple Knight. I hadn't realized I was in a different forum to where I usually post. Thanks all.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

OH there are some big ones that happen well into sobriety. For me after a year or more.
The brain heals, the cardiovascular system heals, the stomach and gastrointestinal tract heals, and the PAWS symptoms, memory, anger, etc. get better.

And the greatest blessing of all, CRAVINGS are all but totally nonexistent.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The best way I can describe sobriety, early vs. later sobriety, is like driving a car on the freeway.

Early sobriety is like merging on in heavy traffic.

The first day I felt like an alien. I was severely hungover and in a fog. First day was easy for this very reason. Same with day two and three. Boy you know you've gone too far when you have those four day hangovers. So the first four days was easy. But then you start to feel better and that first Friday rolls around and you're like.....oh, hold on here a sec. I can't do this anymore. Hmm. That's interesting. I'd say this is the toughest part of sobriety. If you can believe the people on here that it gets better and take our word for it, it does get much, much, better.

It gets much, much easier.

I've been sober for almost two years and back to the freeway analogy, I'm now on cruise control, cruising at 65. Can you close your eyes and nap when you're using cruise control? God no! But a 100 miles goes by and you barely notice it. The second year of my sobriety was very easy. I have found it very easy to maintain.

My body feels good. My brains feels good. I am no longer a lunatic hypochondriac, considering how and when I would die from alcoholism.

I feel the same as anybody else on earth who doesn't drink. I get the flu once a year, a cold a few times a year, but the number of days where I feel like I'm going to die are down to like 5-10 a year. This is quite a change from back when I was hungover, dehydrated, and sick every day until I had my first drink after work.

After about a year, it is totally normal not to drink. Wedding? No big deal. I go to wedding receptions without any consideration of drinking. There's no there there. I went out tonight to meet friends at a brewery/restaurant. I drank two RC colas with my food. There was no stress about drinking or not drinking. I don't drink and I'm fine with that.

I never thought I would get to this point.

The greatest part is letting go of the moderation game. It was torture to always wonder if I should drink or how much and then blacking out when I was supposed to moderate.

If I had to say the one thing about sobriety that's taken some getting use to is that you're awake all the time. You never get a pass to check out and say "I'll see you tomorrow, world! Bye bye!" You are awake and aware of life with the ups and downs, good, and bad, all of it.

But that's way better than living every day in sick fog.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
By six months I was feeling so much better and my sleep was wonderful. I no longer woke up hating myself and wishing I were dead. And waking up feeling good never gets old.
Least, I wake up happy. But atm am experiencing hassle from my past and so I can't seem to break free. Something is said orbit receive a reminder from somebody I am trying to avoid and it just makes me feel sick inside remembering what I have done, and I still hate myself.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
The best way I can describe sobriety, early vs. later sobriety, is like driving a car on the freeway.

Early sobriety is like merging on in heavy traffic.

The first day I felt like an alien. I was severely hungover and in a fog. First day was easy for this very reason. Same with day two and three. Boy you know you've gone too far when you have those four day hangovers. So the first four days was easy. But then you start to feel better and that first Friday rolls around and you're like.....oh, hold on here a sec. I can't do this anymore. Hmm. That's interesting. I'd say this is the toughest part of sobriety. If you can believe the people on here that it gets better and take our word for it, it does get much, much, better.

It gets much, much easier.

I've been sober for almost two years and back to the freeway analogy, I'm now on cruise control, cruising at 65. Can you close your eyes and nap when you're using cruise control? God no! But a 100 miles goes by and you barely notice it. The second year of my sobriety was very easy. I have found it very easy to maintain.

My body feels good. My brains feels good. I am no longer a lunatic hypochondriac, considering how and when I would die from alcoholism.

I feel the same as anybody else on earth who doesn't drink. I get the flu once a year, a cold a few times a year, but the number of days where I feel like I'm going to die are down to like 5-10 a year. This is quite a change from back when I was hungover, dehydrated, and sick every day until I had my first drink after work.

After about a year, it is totally normal not to drink. Wedding? No big deal. I go to wedding receptions without any consideration of drinking. There's no there there. I went out tonight to meet friends at a brewery/restaurant. I drank two RC colas with my food. There was no stress about drinking or not drinking. I don't drink and I'm fine with that.

I never thought I would get to this point.

The greatest part is letting go of the moderation game. It was torture to always wonder if I should drink or how much and then blacking out when I was supposed to moderate.

If I had to say the one thing about sobriety that's taken some getting use to is that you're awake all the time. You never get a pass to check out and say "I'll see you tomorrow, world! Bye bye!" You are awake and aware of life with the ups and downs, good, and bad, all of it.

But that's way better than living every day in sick fog.
I love your analogy Melinda, I am finding the actual no drinking side of things ok, I can handle people drinking around me. I am still experiencing guilt and need to let it go. Just not sure how to do it without talking about it. As I don't want to ever discuss this with anyone.