Notices

Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any suggestions?

My 20 year old sister who is a recovering drug addict will be coming to live with me, her 28 yr old brother, as soon as she is released from her in patient treatment.

My question is this, she is going to be looking for a job and due to some issues in her past (arrest record, and two visible tatoos on her hands) I am concerned that she is going to have a very difficult time finding a quality one. I am concerned that some of the easy employment options are going to be the worst environments for her given her current situation (cocktail waitressing for example).

I plan to help her with getting the tatoos removed but that process could take a few months. She would really like to work in the hospitality industry but I am fairly certain that this will be extremely difficult at least until the tatoos are removed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what types of industry would be a good starting point for her given the circumstances and may also provide a better environment then say working in a bar?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

any health food/ natural food enviornment...store or restaurant.. they will not care about the tattoos and it is all about a more conscious lifestyle which will be good for her. a lot of great people are connected to that type of healing eviornment. I had a vegan restaurant for three years and cleaned myself up and a lot of my employees up. i was known for giving addicts a chance. good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
easydoesitmikey

I wouldnt worry to much about that right now,all that matters is her recovery.She needs to go to meetings regularly,and get a sponser.Just because she is getting out of treatment doesnt mean she is cured.I understand you want to see her get back on track.Most people are un-employed,or even homeless when they first get clean.We all have bills and need to work,recovery must come first.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

I agree with both previous posters. It might not be as hard as you think it will be. What about a record store, or some place at the mall. She really needs to have a job which can come 2nd to her recovery for now. Trying to get started on a career path right now could be detrimental. Have patience with her. This recovery thing takes time.

Welcome to SR, btw!!!! Glad you are here!

Hugs--
Old 09-21-2004, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as her recovery goes, that is already a priority. She has a sponsor and will be attending meetings. Maybe I am overanalyzing this to some degree but I am concerned about places like recordstores etc, just because of the environment and the general attitude of the people that she will be working around.

I am certainly not saying that there are not great people in that line of work, but I have known several people in that line of work that lead the type of lifestyle that she is trying to stay away from. Of course she will have to face those choices at some point, I am just hoping to make the transition as comfortable as possible.

I have read through several of the posts on this site and am going to point her in this direction. I think that what you are all doing here is amazing, and it is great to know that there is a support system like this one out there. Best of luck to you all.