Notices

Eighteen Days

Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eighteen Days

Hi everybody,

I told myself I would post after Easter week-end but am now just getting around to it. I was in my first week of sobriety and was worried how I’d do over the holiday. Especially getting through a family dinner sober. Well, I did it, and still haven’t had a drink.
The longest I’ve ever been able to stay sober was eleven days back in 1993. Today is day eighteen and I have to say overall I am feeling pretty good!

I know I can’t make promises long term but one thing is clear; I want sobriety more than I want to drink. I made halfhearted attempts in the past (never lasting more than a day or two aside from the exception listed above) but was angry I was being “forced” to quit. I simply didn’t want to stop. Something is definitely different now. I am beginning to see life can be a wonderful experience. I hope I can stay strong and not fall off. I want to have a life.

Thank you to all the posters here at SR! I don’t post much but I read the board here multiple times a day. This board and the people who post here have helped me more than I can possibly say. Thank you for that… everyone.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Ron.
Thanks for your post. Well done on 18 days, hope you are feeling good in lots of ways. The Christmas, Easter holidays etc are all hard but they pass. Take care. Keep it up.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Ron
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ron that is good to hear!
Try and see the benefits to sobriety and do it one day at a time as opposed to "forever". Before you know it more time has passed, you lose the daily thoughts of drinking. They may peak during difficult times but try and put things into place to go to instead of alcohol in those instances. Take this time to fortify those "sober walls" to such events.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ron and congrats on 18 days. Take it one day at a time. It gets much easier and better the longer you stay sober.

Welcome and good job.