Notices

Caved in due to sobriety side effects :(

Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
dont use" side effects" of sobriety as an excuse to drink.
I don't think I was using it as an excuse , I realize I am solely responsible for my behavior. thanks anyway.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

as a long term insomnia sufferer ( i think a decade plus counts???) i can tell you it won't kill you. it can make the parts of the day you are supposed to be awake and alert a little rough and slow the metabolism down a bit, but trust me you will hit the wall one day and just NEED.TO.SLEEP. that might be 5:30 pm right after work - or it may take up an entire saturday to get caught up. sleep when ya can.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with others - these are complications of withdrawal, not sobriety...they will get better over time, but every time you drink you kinda put yourself back to square one.

If sleeplessness and constipation are really concerning you, the best thing is to see your Dr.

I also recommend you have a look at the link OldTomato posted, whether you go to SMART or not

D
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by ZenButterfly View Post
I don't have a plan right now. I have been to AA in the past and didn't care for it much but there are SMART recovery meetings in my town so I am going to check those out and see what they suggest.
I can't think of one thing in early sobriety that I cared for including the physical, mental, social and spiritual issues that all seem to be happening around the same time.

Thank goodness a professional convinced me that the thinking that got me into the mess I was in was unlikely to be thinking that was going to get me out. He suggested I try a different way and it was AA.

There is no easier softer way. Sobriety takes hardwork, honestly, perseverance, acceptance and systemic change.

The beginning is tough and I'm not saying it isn't but sobriety is possible if we are willing to do what we need to
Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have to want to stay the course of no drinking, no benzos and now no antidepressants. Rough, yes. It's just that life was so very awful two months ago. The wonderful gifts that are returning, such as my children's respect and being able to read a book now cause me to smile - sleep will come. But, that's my experience.