Notices

Quit Sunday

Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit Sunday

Hello everyone.
After drinking into early Sunday morning after a bad week at work, I've decided to quit for good. I'm 41 and have been drinking 20 years, with a 2 year sober "break". Have been scared by high blood pressure, and an abnormal liver function test (58, just over normal range) and the fact that I've been having other health problems. Mt father, also an alcoholic, died at 60 after several strokes.
I want to be there for my kids and for myself. I feel like I still have some things I'd like to accomplish. Part of my problem has been difficulty in hitting bottom, no DUI's, a decent job, etc.
I feel terrible today, very nervous and uncomfortable. I usually break down after about a wek of sobriety, but I am determined not to do that this time. Any suggestions?

Matthew
Old 09-21-2004, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey Matt--Welcome to SR! My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic. Suggestions? Well, first and foremost I would get a support group. I chose AA and it has been wonderful for me. There are many other options as well. Also, take good care of yourself--get plenty of rest, drink lots of water and juice, pamper yourself, go for walks, eat well, and feel free to indulge in chocolate or other sweets (they really help with the cravings!). Most of all, keep posting here. Read alot as well. There are a lot of people here who are just like you!!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Matthew, and welcome to SoberRecovery.
Awful good bunch of people here.
Bottom is wherever you stop digging they say.
I'm an addict, and the last ten years, alcohol was my favorite poison. And it took me down some nasty roads. Towards the end, I drank to stay ahead of withdrawal. Every day, morning until night.
And before that, much like you, I'd put a few days or a a week of sober time together, and start feeling better. I'd start thinking that I could drink again, and this time, control myself... Sound familiar?
Anyway, I came to the conclusion that I had to be abstinent. I got some help with AA.
There's other recovery methods.
Point I'm trying to make is that very few of us are able to stop and stay stopped without a form of support.
So, a few more days and your skin should start feeling normal again. In the meentime, let me just say I'm glad you're here. Cruise the Forums and post some more.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Monica

Matt--
Hello my name is Monica-addict, a few days of pain is worth a life time of happiness!! Stay strong, i'm also new to the site but it has helped me in so many ways. Have you ever gone to a AA meeting? Meetings and my support team has helped me get through some rough times. We have all been were your at and let me tell you my life gets so much better!! Your in my thoughts and prayers, keep posting so i know how your doing.
Remember 1 day at a time
Mon
Old 09-21-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME MATHEW,MUCH HAS BEEN SAID ALREADY.
I TO CHOOSE A.A. FOR THE HELP I NEED.
THIS IS A GREAT PLACE FOR SUPPORT.
GREAT BUNCH HERE.
STICK AROUND,YOUR NOT ALONE.....ted

GO STEELERS!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((((Matthew)))))))
Suggestions?.......

Don't pick up that first drink, join us here in SR, go to a local AA meeting if at all possible. And, don't worry about stopping before you've got a DUI. It's actually been a pleasure seeing folks exit the River of Alcoholism before I visit them in Prison.

I want to be there for my kids and for myself. I feel like I still have some things I'd like to accomplish. Part of my problem has been difficulty in hitting bottom, no DUI's, a decent job, etc.
I feel terrible today, very nervous and uncomfortable. I usually break down after about a wek of sobriety, but I am determined not to do that this time.
That ought to provide the initial incentive!

((((((((Matthew)))))))))
Three Legs
:tri
Old 09-21-2004, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Mathew))) welcome I'm alice. a lot of people have to relearn sobriety and then keep practicing it. it is a process and this site is a wonderful place to get started- there is a lot of love and support here- stick around and keep posting!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. Things went well today, although i know they will get rough.

Matt