Notices

My life, my progress, my sobriety

Old 04-04-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My life, my progress, my sobriety

Hi everyone,
I've decided to start a thread I will update rather than fill the board up with individual ones.
I am now practically on day 29 the longest I've been sober in my drinking life. I've also got my leather bracelet now which states one day at a time and my date of sobriety. I look at this if I get a craving.
I'm very proud of myself, the last 29 days have felt sometimes like the longest time and I know that the reality is the hard work starts now.
I went to a meeting tonight, it was hard to watch a father in tears that he had relapsed again but it was amazing the support he was given with some of the longest sober members taking some responsibility that they hadn't been there to support him and saying that they should have given him there phone numbers. Terribly hummbling.
For all those starting out on the sober path let me tell you it's so worth it,
30 years of drinking and after only 29 days my blood pressure and heart rate have returned to normal, I've lost 11lbs, my headaches have disappeared,,my depression is lifting, and the most important thing- I'm starting to like myself a teeny bit and get back some self worth.
No one, especially in the pub thought I would last 2 days. Oh how I love proving them wrong one day at a time.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great post and I'm glad you're feeling good about yourself.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! Those first few weeks are tough!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job and keep up the good work. Whatever it takes...Peace...out
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on your first month. Glad it's going well for you.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great idea
Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does my heart good to read of your progress and how well you are feeling!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your achievement jtmlk

D
Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's wonderful, congratulations!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thats really awesome my pub friends think ill snap out of this too ... lets not give them the satisfaction
Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
Hi everyone,
I've decided to start a thread I will update rather than fill the board up with individual ones.
I am now practically on day 29 the longest I've been sober in my drinking life. I've also got my leather bracelet now which states one day at a time and my date of sobriety. I look at this if I get a craving.
I'm very proud of myself, the last 29 days have felt sometimes like the longest time and I know that the reality is the hard work starts now.
I went to a meeting tonight, it was hard to watch a father in tears that he had relapsed again but it was amazing the support he was given with some of the longest sober members taking some responsibility that they hadn't been there to support him and saying that they should have given him there phone numbers. Terribly hummbling.
For all those starting out on the sober path let me tell you it's so worth it,
30 years of drinking and after only 29 days my blood pressure and heart rate have returned to normal, I've lost 11lbs, my headaches have disappeared,,my depression is lifting, and the most important thing- I'm starting to like myself a teeny bit and get back some self worth.
No one, especially in the pub thought I would last 2 days. Oh how I love proving them wrong one day at a time.
Thank you for writing this post. It's very inspiring.

I'm on Day 4 (again) and trying hard to stay sober can I can feel good about myself again.

Good work and Godspeed!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

great post!!! inspiring and full of hope!! congrats and now it is or practically is day 30!! Congrats great job.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very happy for you! Today is day 2 for me. I like the idea of the bracelet. Something to look at as a reminder when I get a craving would be helpful. I may have to steal that idea from you. Keep up the good work, your story gives me hope.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very inspiring, I am on day 4. Major headaches and anxiety, looking forward to the days of feeling better and hopefully I will lose weight at the same time. Would be a awesome bonus.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well said jtmlk.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,
It is indeed 30 days today!. I went to my last rebalance session today,( it's a 3 month, one night a week government thing in the uk for people with a BMI over 30 and encourages healthy lifestyles). I've lost a total of 1 stone, another couple and I will be sorted. I also went for a long walk with the boys which we all enjoyed- in the old days I wouldn't have dreamt about doing it. As well as all the benefits of sobriety that I've listed before my so called fibromyalgia seems to be hardly noticeable.
Take care and keep strong everyone
To all the newbies I would say post post and post, the support here is amazing.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice work jtmlk!

One thing that caught my eye is your statement about headaches. I have over a month of sobriety and am still getting headaches almost daily. I have an appointment with a neurologist on May 5, but how did you manage them? Did you see your doctor? Is this normal? TIA
Old 04-05-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
Nice work jtmlk!

One thing that caught my eye is your statement about headaches. I have over a month of sobriety and am still getting headaches almost daily. I have an appointment with a neurologist on May 5, but how did you manage them? Did you see your doctor? Is this normal? TIA
Hi Jemma,
I did speak to my doctor who explained - as I thought- it was to do with GABA which are to do with the brain receptors. Where I had heavily drunk for many years the alcohol numbed them and now sober they were going crazy. I prob haven't explained that well so Google GABA brain receptors and sobriety. Hopefully your neurologist will also put your mind at rest. I found drinking lots and lots of water, taking the odd paracetamol and trying to be as stress free helped control them.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm not super worried, but tired of the daily pain.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 30 days bud