Notices

Dealing with doubt

Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with doubt

How do you all deal with it? I'm occasionally struck with this fear that I won't be able to stay sober. I can't help but feel silly asking this, but any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think you are dealing with the aftermath of a recent relapse. And if you haven't gotten sober yet, your doubts and fears are probably doubly strong. But the fact is, you can get sober and stay sober.

It's called faith. Not necessarily religious faith, but the belief that others have felt that way and have gotten sober. When you accumulate some sober time that belief will move from faith to fact.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Faith is very important in this journey, faith in yourself. And, I think you will find that each day you become a bit more sure of yourself.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally agree. Once you accumulate some sober days, you realize that can you exist without alcohol. String together a few weeks and months, and you start to realize you can live even better without alcohol. Eventually, you'll actually wonder how you ever lived the way you did with alcohol!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Faith, yes, definitely. And courage. The courage to act in alignment with our better interests despite our doubts and our fears.

I never knew what courage was until I was forced into it. I can also say that I never knew what I was capable of until I made the attempt.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Along the same lines as to what doggonecarl mentioned, the greater period of time you put between yourself and your last drinking episode, the more that doubt goes away. The only way to find out is to continue to turn away from alcohol, then reassess your original question. Wish you the best.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Absolutely, having faith and courage are a must. Then add dedication to your list.

Dedicate your today to not drinking. Use All of your resources to see you through and your dedication will pay off. Dedicate yourself to getting your independence back. Alcohol steals our independence but with faith, courage and dedication your world will open up again.

You can do this Eyeshake.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I'm working my program as hard as I worked my drinking. As an alkie, I want instant gratification. The gifts of sobriety are much more subtle.