Notices

Recovery + Sleep Apnea = (words that cannot be posted here)

Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

NoFear, there was a time when I was getting a little frantic at getting the hang of this. My problem was just not being able to settle with that mask on my face. I finally learned of two tips that saved it for me, and I'm happy to pass them on.

I have an oily face, and that mask would slip around and flap in the breeze, making a good seal almost impossible. So, I started washing my mask every day with hot water and soap, and also washing my face just before bed. I was able to back off on the tightness of the straps which made everything more comfy.

The second tip I learned was to be good and tired before bed, physically tired. So I started walking. I would do at least a half hour, and at a pace that would drive my heart rate up into the target range of 80% (220 - age).

Within a couple of days, things settled down and the sleep recovery stage started. I was sleeping much better, but working through years of deprivation, so it took another month or so before the fog started to lift, and energy levels started to go up.

I decided to take advantage of those energy levels, and changed my diet and activity levels slowly. A few pounds came off, and the apnea got easier to treat with a lower mask pressure. This was over a period of about four months.

I am still working at those improvements now, and it's starting to feel good to be active again.

Hang in there. It WILL work, but it will take some time and effort. You can do it!
Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been using a CPAP for about 16 years. My fatigue didn't disappear overnight! Due to challenges getting used to a mask, I found a sleep apnea forum sponsored by CPAP.com. It was very helpful - I learned a variety of hacks to get mask to fit comfortably.

For me, fatigue is multi-factorial : recovery, sleep apnea, very slow (about 95% non-functioning) thyroid, heart issue, liver issue (mostly better now) and excess weight. Keeping everything balanced is challenging so I simply appreciate and enjoy every good day and just survive through the bad ones.