Notices

How did you select a home group?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you select a home group?

Hey everyone I am still fairly new to AA. I would love it if those of you that have a home group can share how the process was to find your home group. How long did it take? What are ways to decide where you want your home group to be? thank you!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

It was the only meeting I did not miss and the people there were and are into recovery and working the steps in their lives.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

In my area, your home group is usually the same as your sponsors. Sometimes schedules don't make that possible but usually that's how it works. When your sponsor and his sponsor and everyone they sponsor all have the same home group it allows you to see everyone each week and catch up on things. It also makes it handy to have sponsorship meetings or book studies before or after the meeting. At my home group, we show up early and help setup and then have a sponsorhip book study beforehand. It makes a long evening but it's nice to see all the guys at least once a week!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

My home group was the first meeting I went to loved it
Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome! So it seems that it comes down to the meeting you like the most

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
It was the only meeting I did not miss and the people there were and are into recovery and working the steps in their lives.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sweet!

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
My home group was the first meeting I went to loved it
Old 04-03-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great! That is a good idea because it gives more time to get to know your sponsor and I love that you do a book study beforehand

Originally Posted by hellrzr View Post
In my area, your home group is usually the same as your sponsors. Sometimes schedules don't make that possible but usually that's how it works. When your sponsor and his sponsor and everyone they sponsor all have the same home group it allows you to see everyone each week and catch up on things. It also makes it handy to have sponsorship meetings or book studies before or after the meeting. At my home group, we show up early and help setup and then have a sponsorhip book study beforehand. It makes a long evening but it's nice to see all the guys at least once a week!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine is the first one I went to, the closest one to where I live and the one I attend the most often
Old 04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh and I now do service there too
Old 04-03-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I chose my home group for three reasons:

1) It's a meeting with a lot of "setup" so it was easy for me to make a commitment to show up at 7pm on Friday, one hour before the meeting, to take responsibility for some of the setup.

2) There's a winery close to my house with live music on Friday nights, and when I was drinking I would show up at 7pm every Friday. So, if I thought I might want to go to the winery instead of AA I would have to consciously decide to let everyone at my home group down.

3) The meeting made a little uncomfortable, which is very odd for me. I'm usually comfortable everywhere, so I figured that discomfort meant I needed something there.

It turned out to be a very good choice. I have made a lot of friends and I've learned a lot in that meeting.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow great! The meeting I am attending tomorrow is near a place I used/relapsed so I love your idea of the "conscious decision" with the winery
Thanks

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
I chose my home group for three reasons:

1) It's a meeting with a lot of "setup" so it was easy for me to make a commitment to show up at 7pm on Friday, one hour before the meeting, to take responsibility for some of the setup.

2) There's a winery close to my house with live music on Friday nights, and when I was drinking I would show up at 7pm every Friday. So, if I thought I might want to go to the winery instead of AA I would have to consciously decide to let everyone at my home group down.

3) The meeting made a little uncomfortable, which is very odd for me. I'm usually comfortable everywhere, so I figured that discomfort meant I needed something there.

It turned out to be a very good choice. I have made a lot of friends and I've learned a lot in that meeting.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so happy the first meeting you went to worked out. The first one I went to had a lot of people older than me and just wasn't for me. I went a few times. But now I have found more meetings to my liking.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Mine is the first one I went to, the closest one to where I live and the one I attend the most often
Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I picked one that waa close to home and I could make everytime. I also liked the meeting too.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me it was that one closest to where I live, as it's walkable and I know that I'd manage to get there whatever the weather, transport or none. It's where I started doing service first off. It's where I see my sponsor on a regular basis.

If there were a few in my home town every week, then I'd probably go for the one that I felt most comfortable at.

It's no big deal really. Plus, people can change their home group.

I think the only difference at my home group to others is that I'm on the birthday list there, so that's where I get a birthday card. I'm free to do service at any group I regularly attend.