Notices

Q2 2016 - Not a Great Start

Old 04-01-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Q2 2016 - Not a Great Start

I've been struggling with alcohol addiction for 15 years now. I'm 32 and I drink at least a pint of vodka a day. Went to an "intensive" outpatient program about 3 years ago. I've dabbled in AA. I also have tried Naltrexone, which works well... when I take it. Married for 12 years with a 6 year old daughter. Don't want to do more damage to my organs than I've already done. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Big book step study meetings of AA were the only thing that worked for me. I got a sponsor, I did and continue to do, the work every day. I finally reached the point where I had enough and was willing to do anything it took to stay sober. Only then did I stay sober. Getting sober was the best thing I ever did for myself.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!! Check out the stickies at the top of this forum, sooo many good resources there. A good idea to get started is to do a recovery plan. It has been key in getting and keeping on a better path for me.

There is so much good support here. do join the April class, the class support system is awesome. Read lots, pots lots glad to see you here.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it sounds like it would be a good idea for you to come up with a plan for what you think will work for you. Maybe you could add some tools to what you've tried in the past.

This is our Sticky with plans and ideas that have worked for us:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the fast responses! I told myself that I would have a sober April... but I drank too much yesterday and needed to drink today so I didn't feel terrible. I'm hoping to taper off by tomorrow so I can start taking Naltrexone again. Going to see a movie with a friend tonight and I will likely drink a half pint before (in addition to the pint I've already drunk today) . The good news is that I've had less to drink today than yesterday so hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow not feeling so sick. Pathetic, I know.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Plainview welcome to the site your not pathetic but by the sounds of it you know by going your going to be worse off

My suggestion is that you can stay here with us instead of going out ?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support and good ideas here can help you get sober for good.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The sad part is that I'm not going out to a bar. Just a movie... with a friend...who doesn't really drink. I'll drink before and hide it from him... like I hide most of my drinking these days. Thanks for being so welcoming though. I'm committed to trying online support. Tomorrow is a new day, right?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Plainview, you'll find support here. AA didn't work for me either, but a non 12-step inpatient rehab did. Welcome aboard.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by plainview View Post
I've been struggling with alcohol addiction for 15 years now. I'm 32 and I drink at least a pint of vodka a day. Went to an "intensive" outpatient program about 3 years ago. I've dabbled in AA. I also have tried Naltrexone, which works well... when I take it. Married for 12 years with a 6 year old daughter. Don't want to do more damage to my organs than I've already done. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Welcome plainview. For most, it's not so much the plan itself but our commitment to the plan that makes it work. "dabbling" in AA and taking naltrexone only when you remember to do it probably won't get you the results you want.

If you are to the point of needing to drink a couple of half-pints of vodka just to "not feel bad" then please be careful in your detox. Physical dependence can really sneak up on us when we aren't watching. Perhaps you could skip the movie and try to get some rest, food, water in you to make tomorrow be a good day 1?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the first thing you must realize about your alcoholism is that it is fueled addiction. And with any and all addictions, the only way to beat it foremost is to abstain from it. The longer you abstain, the easier it becomes. And with all addictions, the beginning is the most difficult when sobering up.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, Plainview. We all understand how you're feeling - there's plenty of encouragement here. You can do it.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome plainview. For most, it's not so much the plan itself but our commitment to the plan that makes it work. "dabbling" in AA and taking naltrexone only when you remember to do it probably won't get you the results you want.

If you are to the point of needing to drink a couple of half-pints of vodka just to "not feel bad" then please be careful in your detox. Physical dependence can really sneak up on us when we aren't watching. Perhaps you could skip the movie and try to get some rest, food, water in you to make tomorrow be a good day 1?
It's not that I forget to take Naltrexone - I intentionally don't take it because it renders alcohol pointless by taking away the euphoric sensation.

My withdrawal symptoms do not seem to be too bad these days. It's not pleasant but it's not as bad as it used to be. Today was an exception - I wish I could use "withdrawl symptoms" as an excuse for my drinking lately... but that would be a lie.

Thanks for responding and for the advice!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Glad to have you with us, Plainview. We all understand how you're feeling - there's plenty of encouragement here. You can do it.
Thank you! Just reading through other threads is encouraging.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt that way too - we never have to feel alone.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Plainview

being a part of this community really helped me...but I had to commit to not drinking, ever - and really, whatever method you use, that's the bottom line I think.

You'd know already that you need to make one day a day one, sooner than later. It all starts from that

If you've been drinking heavily you might want to check with your Dr before you do that?

D
Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OfEpiphany View Post
the first thing you must realize about your alcoholism is that it is fueled addiction. And with any and all addictions, the only way to beat it foremost is to abstain from it. The longer you abstain, the easier it becomes. And with all addictions, the beginning is the most difficult when sobering up.
That sounds nice...until you relapse and have to start over again. I guess sobriety, regardless of how long it lasts, it better than no sobriety at all.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi plainview, you're pretty darn young, you have a lot of life to salvage....and a child. I wish you the best man. Keep trying and keep fighting.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you're going into sobriety with the idea relapse is more or less inevitable, you're beaten before you start.

It maybe a task beyond anything you ever thought it might be - but it is very possible to get sober and stay that way. There's hundreds of people here who are proof of that.

Support is very important - but so is a commitment to change. If your life is all about the drink as mine was, you'll have a lot to change - but, again, not impossible

D
Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think if you're going into sobriety with the idea relapse is more or less inevitable, you're beaten before you start.

It maybe a task beyond anything you ever thought it might be - but it is very possible to get sober and stay that way. There's hundreds of people here who are proof of that.

Support is very important - but so is a commitment to change. If your life is all about the drink as mine was, you'll have a lot to change - but, again, not impossible

D
I've made dozens of commitments to change, just never followed through. Thank you for responding and for your advice though.

As anticipated, I drank before the movie. Don't feel super drunk now and I'm optimistic for tomorrow (that's nothing new though).

Thanks everyone for reading and responding.