Notices

Boredom in early sobriety

Old 03-31-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I remember feeling that way in the beginning. Like the song, "is that all there is?" I was bored, so I found things to do. I kept busy in the beginning. Now I'm never bored, as a matter of fact, I love my down time.
That gives me hope. Thx!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Kiki, I felt that way in the beginning too. Like Dee said, it's just your AV messing with you, just a passing thought and nothing more. Now at 42 I feel like my life has finally opened up since I am not controlled by alcohol. A completely opposite feeling from when I first started this journey.

I promise, it will get better as long as you keep sober. I've got two kids, a wife and 4 animals... there is plenty to occupy our time with. Don't let your AV start to convince you otherwise. You're doing great.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Boredom is 100% normal coming off booze.

Luckily, the internet allows you to easily fill in the gaps and stay entertained.

I recommend you simply up your internet usage, there's always something to do or read/watch online. Of course real-world activities are always good too.

If it's one addiction i don't mind at all it's "internet addiction"
Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kiki, I have to agree with Dee, your AV is messing with you right now. Early sobriety can feel like time comes to a screeching halt, and then it starts picking up speed as the weeks go by. Hang in there honey, you are passed the worst with only better days to look forward to. You’ve gotten some great responses, so my suggestion would be picking up a couple of novels to take your mind off of what can sometimes feel like 24/7 recovery.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I read anything I can get my hands on...I love it x
Old 04-01-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Hi guys,

I've only been sober for 8 days but my AV keeps chirping in my ear saying "being sober is sooooo boring! What do you have to look forward to now? Life is short KiKi!"

It's driving me nuts & I don't want to drink over it so I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on how you fill your time now that your not drinking/hungover etc?

Are your lives boring? Does it make you miss drinking?

Just trying to tell on my disease...thx in advance!

Kiki
On day 8 I was going meetings daily I chose to its the only place that was helping me understand what was going on with me I was also in the process of sorting out some group therapy for myself I was reading living sober and trying to eat bigger portions of meals as my stomach was shrunk

Kiki reaching out the way you have I commend you for great job exposing your AV and getting it on the page

Have you thought about group therapy ?
Old 04-01-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I feel so much better this morning after reading all of your comments.

Wolf...as far as group therapy, I go to AA. I went to a meeting yesterday in fact. :-)

I'm sure it was just my AV yesterday. I was still having cravings at 10:00 last night! Crazy day. My AV is relentless but I didn't drink.

You guys saved my butt. Thank you!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was bored a LOT early on. In reality, I just did not know what it was like to be peaceful and content. I spent years drinking and living in chaos and when I finally got sober I had no idea what it was like to be calm and peaceful!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done amazing Kiki xx
Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Boredom is definitely one of my addiction's best friends. I have to learn to cut it off at the pass if I am going to stay clean and sane. For this addict that means service work, telling on myself, calling friends/family/clean network people, and finding new hobbies. Exercise is definitely a good one, too.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The boredom will pass- give it time.