Notices

Got Checked Out By a Doctor

Old 10-21-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just got back from class and I'm feeling all sad, crying to myself and I don't know why.

I hope I can bounce back from this and change my life. Right now I'm day 2 sober but hopeless about the future.

I would expect and not be surprised by this. You are accustomed to having a substance affecting your brain and that's been taken away for 2 days now. Your brain is trying to sort things out how to function without that substance. It feels 'ick' now, but the only way to feel better for good is to stop drinking. Your brain and body need time to heal. There is no quick fix for this. But, you're still young and you've got that going for you.

There IS hope! Tell yourself that. Tell yourself you can feel good, healthy, happy, but there are no short-cuts or easy ways out. It's treating yourself and your body right every single day. Good diet, exercise, good sleep, managing stress. But most of all stop putting things in your body that slowly kill it. You can do this!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
You were very lucky that you did not fracture more than your hip, and that you did not get charged with a DUI. Your life would be a nightmare in that case, with potentially months of DUI school, big fines, criminal charges and/or a criminal record, possible license, suspension, insurance rate hikes, future problems with employment, etc.

You can absolutely bounce back from this, but this stopping drinking as an experiment to see how it goes has to stop. You will need to quit drinking for good, and never drink again, under any circumstances. No more 'relapses'.

I don't have any problem telling you any of this, even though it doesn't sound very nice. You may not realize it, but you were actually very fortunate with the car accident. You could have killed someone, and even if you didn't, you could have been criminally charged and convicted. You placed the general public, and yourself, in danger, and only narrowly escaped death.

However, the fact that you went back to drinking after that painful event is highly indicative of a deep functional problem with alcohol. I don't care if you are "an alcoholic" or not. The next "wake up" moment will almost certainly be worse, or possibly fatal.

You must never drink again. Under any circumstances.

What is your present plan, exactly?
Are you saying that you are planning to drink again if you do have urges to drink? After all of the trouble that alcohol has caused you, and probably will cause you in the future?

Graduating will be a blessing compared to where you may be headed if you don't get a grip on the drinking very soon. Do you understand that?
I do understand that. And I do not plan to drink at all. I'm just taking it because its supposed to help with the urges. If I abstain, can my liver heal or do you think its too late?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToyotaMan1991 View Post
I do understand that. And I do not plan to drink at all. I'm just taking it because its supposed to help with the urges. If I abstain, can my liver heal or do you think its too late?
At your age, you can be reasonably confident that your liver will be able to recover from any damage from alcohol by abstaining. You are rather young, which works in your favor. You can check with your doctor about a full liver function test if you are concerned.

I'm a little concerned about this "planning not to drink" and "if I abstain" language, however. That doesn't sound very definitive. It sounds like you are still debating the matter of more drinking in your mind. Is that the case?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

At your age, you can be reasonably confident that your liver will be able to recover from any damage from alcohol by abstaining. You are rather young, which works in your favor. You can check with your doctor about a full liver function test if you are concerned.

I'm a little concerned about this "planning not to drink" and "if I abstain" language, however. That doesn't sound very definitive. It sounds like you are still debating the matter of more drinking in your mind. Is that the case?
I know that my drinking days are over. Actually, I saw an ad on the subway going into school the morning after I got so hammered I felt all gloopy. It had an ad featuring how excessive alcohol consumption kills 28,000 people a year. Then I thought about how long I'm doing this, and how the older I get, the more time that slips away. I know I Can't slip back into drinking or else I can expect an early death. It's more at this point staying away from alcohol at my lowest points, which is the hardest thing. So far one coping method I figured is just sleep if I want to drink. Better thna drinking, right?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToyotaMan1991 View Post
It's more at this point staying away from alcohol at my lowest points, which is the hardest thing. So far one coping method I figured is just sleep if I want to drink. Better thna drinking, right?
It's useful to stay away at the beginning, but you have to remember that alcohol is everywhere in our society, and you have to be able to live in our society. You were home-bound for months recovering, but as soon as you recovered and left the house, went right back to drinking. Hiding from alcohol is not a very good long-term strategy.

I'm not suggesting that you are not capable of abstaining on your own, without getting 'treatment', but consider looking into a strategy or method to do so in the long run. Why not spend the time reading up on what people have done to stay stopped instead of sleeping?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Not getting a DUI as a result of that mayhem was a gift from above. Now you need to build on the incredible break the Fates Above handed to you and not throw it away.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

PLEASE NOTE

Do not ask for or give medical advice. It is against our rules and posts doing so will be removed.

If you are questioning your liver health, go back to your dr and ask for more information, or get a second opinion.

My suggestion would be to come up with a firm plan as to how to stop drinking and remain sober.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Not getting a DUI as a result of that mayhem was a gift from above. Now you need to build on the incredible break the Fates Above handed to you and not throw it away.
Indeed. I hope that ToyotaMan will go online and read about what can occur in his state if charged and convicted. It's not a trivial matter.