Notices

New in feeling very fragile

Old 03-31-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New in feeling very fragile

Have one day of sobriety under my belt after going back out there. Now having to deal with the terrible consequences of my actions. Broken relationship, fear, pain and abject terror and desperate not to pick up that first drink. Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Elle
Old 03-31-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First of all; you made the right decision to come here. This is a wonderful forum with lots of people who will help and support you. I recommend that you make a plan for your recovery; where you identify your triggers and find ways to deal with them. What can you do to break this pattern?

Post here as often as you need to. There will always be someone here willing to help. Join the March club and get to know people there. They're a great bunch! http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

Don't hesitate to ask! And welcome to the family.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you favela for your kind support. Feel so terrible and falling into self loathing, shame, fear and self doubt. I so do not want to drink and my AV is crucifying me, telling me I'm unworthy a failure, have another drink and finish off this shambles of a life. Sorry. Think I'm going into self pity.....
Old 03-31-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Elle

The very best thing you can do now is simply hang tough and don't drink, no matter what. That's a sure fire way to get you through this time, and into some lasting recovery.

There's a lot of support here and some great ideas

Joining the March thread is a great idea too - lots of friendly folks there who'll help

D
Old 03-31-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone here can relate to what you're feeling now. The important thing is not to act on those feelings. Can you promise yourself that you won't drink today? This is the only day you need to be sober. Today. Of course tomorrow will be another today, and you will have to make that choice again. Do you want to be sober more that you want to drink?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just don't drink
That won't make anything better, just worse.

Have a shower, eat some food, and look at the sobriety plan links here on SR

Make a sobriety plan, and realize things will get better.
You can change the situation and grow from this.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcom Elle! You've found a good place here. I second the recommendation to come up with a plan. Set some very short term goals for yourself and do this one day at a time; one moment at a time, and keep building. It's like learning to live and whole different way, so be patient with yourself. Take a nice long shower, get dressed, put some make-up on if that's your thing. Eat well; drink plenty of fluids and if you need to; just rest.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and good advice here.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you posted.

It's very hard to face all the messes that we made while drinking, but unfortunately there is no way around it as you are on the path to healing. Don't allow yourself to be overwhelmed, just take it slow and you can do this.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Elle

Support made a big difference in my recovery.

I found that here and much more!

So happy you joined us.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When you're going through hell, keep going.

Sending you lots of support and good wishes, Elle.

It can be a real struggle, but you can do this.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your lovely messages of support. Had some very shaky moments today but I clung on in there and very grateful that today I did not pick up! I just kept thinking of those 4 horsemen ..... They will not be rampaging through my life this night. Thank you and God bless you all! Elle
Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i can relate big time. tbe day after my last drunk i couldnt fight denial any more. my ENTIRE life was in my face-all of the gloom,dispair,and agony i caused over many years was rignt in front of me.
tbe great thing that did was got me to see alcohol was the common denominator in all my problems. it got me to say,"i want help!"
and helped me to get into aa and work the program.

it took T.I.M.E. for the mental obsession to leave me and for me to not hate myself, but as promised:
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Elle
Old 03-31-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. SR has been a great resource for me.