Notices

Anxiety attack

Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My first anxiety attack ( long time ago) I passed out in my friend's car and she thought I was having a heart attack. It was around Christmas and lots of traffic around the mall. She was so afraid, that she drove up onto the side walks and drove directly to the fire station for help!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've never had a true anxiety attack. The closest thing to it that I have experienced was when I was getting a root canal one time and as the endodontist was numbing my up all of the sudden I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest with heavy pounding, became very short of breath and thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, this feels like a panic attack!" It passed relatively quickly. But I couldn't say anything at the moment as I was laying there with my mouth open and needle in it ! I think what happened is the epinephrine that was given along with the novacaine somehow got a little of it in my bloodstream. So from there on out I was told by dentists and dr.'s to list epi as an allergy. Uh. No. I'm not allergic it, I don't think. I produce my own adrenaline after all. I just got some epi in my blood and it tends to make your heart pound good and royal. I don't want to be allergic to epi anyways as if I ever need it for rescusitation it could be a real lifesaver or for anaphylactic reactions.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know them all too well. Hope yours passes quickly.
I've had them for years, and it really does feel like you are dying!

I remember one time years ago I had one in public (in a Toys R Us, lol) and I was with my 2 very young children and I had to sit down in one of the toy isles to avoid passing out. Ugh
Sometimes it's hard to figure out what brings one on. Mine just come out of the blue it seems.

Feel better soon.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had my first panic attack around age 18 or 19. I used Lucinda Bassett's program to mostly stop them. It took me a couple of years to get them under control. Haven't had them in ages until just a couple months ago (!) -- while I was driving through a storm in a busy, downtown area, with lots of winding parts of the interstate and highways meeting in those crazy loops and overhead passes. It was very dark and there were no cars on the road. I panicked as I was driving up one of the overhead passes and felt like I was going to drive my car right off the edge. I've never experienced a panic attack while driving until this year! It really was odd to have one after all those years, and the nature of the attack itself had changed. I would describe it but I don't want to trigger anyone. Anyway, it happened a few more times during that trip home from Atlanta. It hasn't happened since. Have no idea why it happened out of the blue like that, other than that maybe it was because I was driving somewhere for hours, and doing something out of the ordinary, and driving through a storm (a tornado!), and having trouble seeing through the rain.

Glad you seem to be feeling better.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've also had panic attacks. Miserable. Glad you are through it.

Teetree, I've had the same experience with the epi in the dental numbing. It is different than a panic attack, because it is very clearly a racing heart, and jittery sensation! My friend has also had the same experience. They don't have to use that type of numbing. It can be done without the epinephrine.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
I've also had panic attacks. Miserable. Glad you are through it.

Teetree, I've had the same experience with the epi in the dental numbing. It is different than a panic attack, because it is very clearly a racing heart, and jittery sensation! My friend has also had the same experience. They don't have to use that type of numbing. It can be done without the epinephrine.
It was the strangest sensation and came on real sudden like a jolt. Yeah, don't have to have the epi and please bring on the nitrous oxide, thank you...
Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You'll be alright man. I used to have those constantly during alcohol withdrawals, and also had them in the first year (or 2!) of sobriety. Once your life gets back on the rails, and normal life takes over, you'll find yourself with less time on your hands to indulge a panic attack. Plus, there are always safe and medically-responsible ways to combat general anxiety in the long-term if needed. You'll be okay, just let it pass, and grit your teeth through this tough time. Been there, and sorry to hear about the issue but don't fret too much.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I feel a lot better. Whenever something is going on, I go to my doctor. And when I started to have this problem, I did. It is harmless but the passing out is inconvenient. Still harmless though. And I can feel it coming so I can lie down.

I even had a realization and a personal breakthrough because of it. I realized that most of my fears are unnecessary. I already knew that, but this time I had the experience of my fears leaving me. And there are only a few left.

I can't be afraid right now. Which is new to me. I would always experience some fear or anxiety, but now... nothing. Just feeling normal.

Cool.
That was a moment of true meditation. You observed the stories of fear and panic, sat with them, and then let them go. I was extremely frustrated when my meditation instructor told me that that was what I needed to do when my anxiety attacks came up. But, after prescription meds, trying to drink it away, and trying to ignore it, as it turns out, the only thing that works for me is experiencing the panic and letting it go.