Notices

I hope this lasts

Old 03-29-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hope this lasts

Quick update, we got back from Chicago yesterday afternoon. We stayed with relatives in the Rockford, Ill area. A little social commentary here, I used to visit my Aunt down there when I was young but have only been there in the last 20 years for funerals and weddings. It is the most depressing city I've been to. There is no "hope" down there at all. Corruption and poverty are the lay of the land. Nice to see family but glad to be home. It was also nice to be with a normal family. No silly fights, no alcohol, no friction, just enjoying each other's company.

On the drinking front, I have developed an appreciation for sobriety. I wouldn't say I am experiencing a pink cloud because I don't feel excited or rah-rah about not drinking. Rather I developed and appreciation to all the benefits of being sober. I really don't think about drinking too much. Instead I find subtle joy in things like what I imagine normal people would. Body feels "clean", sleep is good, nutrition and digestive is system is settled, mood is steady (no ups and downs), also am at-the-ready all the time. I'm not held back by being drunk, hungover or pissed off about something trivial. It is all still relatively new and I'm now thinking about what I tell friends and family because I don't see me ever going back to my drinking ways. This will effect some relationships, but so be it. Anyway, hope all of you are doing well.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it lasts for you too, Thomas and as long as you are taking care of yourself, following your plan for recovery, you will be fine.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope it lasts for you too, Thomas and as long as you are taking care of yourself, following your plan for recovery, you will be fine.
Thanks Anna, and I will add that the support from this site from the members and yourself and Dee have been instrumental in this transformation. Its pretty much everything everyone told me it would be.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

That was excellent to read Jeff happy for you bud
Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

I think one of the biggest factors , that helps in the lasting department, is that we can never 'unkow' things we have come to learn.
We can lie to ourselves , or try to, but once acceptance has cemented some lessons 'in' lying to one's self is that much harder. Which, btw, is all to the good all positive reinforcement. "Been there , done that, absolutely no revisitation necessary"
Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good stuff!!

Getting to that point of not using life's problems or celebratory events that arise as an excuse to drink was sort of a next step for me.

I agree, Rockford isn't picturesque especially in the grasp of clinging winter......
Old 03-29-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Your post inspired me and I want the peace of mind you have in sobriety. Thanks for a message I needed to read today. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to Day 2 tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Inspiring post on the benefits of being sober. Thank you
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad that you're starting to feel at peace with being sober Jeff

D
Old 03-29-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm very happy to read about the way you're feeling.