Notices

Today is the beggining of the rest of my life

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the beggining of the rest of my life

Hi friends, I'm Ian and I have a drinking problem. Up until last night the problem was that I couldn't get enough. Today the problem is that I have had enough and decided to declare war on my alcohol and nicotine addictions.
A little bit about myself. I'm 36 and live in Wolverhampton, England. I have been on and off the streets for 20 years or so as a result of my addictions. I've already beaten cannabis and now I'm down to the deadly duo, alcohol and nicotine. Although I am using an e cig I feel that this section of my plan is going fine. The last step is the alcohol.

I am really hoping with help that I can remove this poison from my life and become healthy and clean and then I can sort out my appearance as I would really like to meet a nice lady to enjoy any time I have left. Here's to the future and god bless and thanks for listening and I will look forward to hearing your responses and any starting help you may be able to offer.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ian

D
Old 03-29-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the community. There is lots of support available here. It has been invaluable to me. I also go to AA which is a great support network as well, and completely free. As someone who always surrounded themselves with other heavy drinkers, I really needed to make some sober friends. People who understand me. AA has been great for that. It's also the taught me how to be comfortable in sobriety (the first month that I somehow managed on my own was pretty horrendous, and I really felt like I was going mad). I'll pop the link for meeting searches at the bottom of this message. It's worth knowing where they are and when, even if you don't think you'll want to go. You might hit a day when you really need it and if you've got the time and location in your wallet perhaps you'll be more likely to go along rather than pick up a drink.

Anyway. Wishing you all the best for your recovery journey, whichever route you choose to take. Keep in touch.

Find a Meeting | AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd
Old 03-29-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lanidus
Old 03-29-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
very interested to see albert camus' name pop up

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. Albert Camus

thank you all
Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Ian. Glad you are here. Get a plan together to help keep you accountable and realize it is a day by day journey.

You can do this!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Ian, glad you are here!! You are only 36, so lots of time left for many great things to happen in your life.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, stay strong, stay here! You'll find a lot of support amongst members.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm working on cigs and alcohol too xo
Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Ian, Hi all. New to all this. Well done for kicking the weed. Most of the people I know have a problem with it! I luckily kicked in when I was only 17 when I realised it wasn't for me! And became a binge drinker. Have tried to moderate... Sometimes works... Most times doesn't. Want to stop completely now although I've said that a few times. Then the weekend comes round. This time the only difference is joining you lot :-)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ianidus View Post
very interested to see albert camus' name pop up

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. Albert Camus

thank you all
LoVe this!!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for such warm and considerate messages. I am hoping that since ive joined this site I have my plan. To be free of alcohol and then to join you in the helping of others and helping everyone I can. Thank you.

"Remember when the light go out, your still in exactly the same place as you was in the light, don't let it scare you because your the darkness's master. And It will suffer you" Ianidus (just)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome lanidus, this forum has been a lifesaver for many. Myself being one.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Ian, welcome! So glad you found us, and I hope you find the suppot you need. There is a wealth of knowledge and information here, and the members are wonderful. We are all in this together!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Ianidus! I'm glad you found us here. The great news is that there is hope. You can change your life, kick the booze and get off the streets for good. The first step is deciding to make the change and it looks like you've begun.