Notices

I'm scared it's too late

Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Please don't give up. I've done counseling and AA too, and couldn't kick it. Since joining SR in December, this is the best I have ever done. Even if you arent computer savvy, cuddle up with your dog and read, read, read. It was reading other experiences that made me "get it" and want to do better. There is so much good info and inspiration here
Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats on day one. You can do it! We get it here.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello, GardenGirl, I'll chime in. Welcome.
How are you doing?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've been reading through the SR forums and find it very helpful. I also agree that I need a plan. Lots of good advice here. For me the time when I turn out the light to sleep is the worst. I worry and regret and basically can't shut my brain off. But I'm glad I found this site. It's going to be a source that's easily accessible for me.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I have found that downloading some guided meditation podcasts for bed time helps me immensely. A ten minute body scan meditation can go a long way to shutting down the stories in my head.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

There's no time like the present, ma'am.

We can do this!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome gg,

What I have learned in my short stint w sobriety is that we need to re learn how to live.

Pretty simple statement, but it the essence of sobriety. The world according to D122y.

I was not educated on the long term effects of of booze. So it wasn't my fault. It is ok. Now, educated and clean, I am fighting for my life.

It gets easier and better.

I used to get these flashes of panic.I would be relaxing in bed or at work and vwoooommm...a flash of panic.....

Those are gone...gone...gone...

I have been laughing out loud more than I ever have in my whole life. Sober laughter is amazing.

When someone cracks a joke, I just crack up now. That is a great thing.

Get clean, stay clean. Develop a sober life. From dawn till dusk.

That is what I did.

Alcohol is poison.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi,

I used to live in a rural area as well, so I know what it's like finding yourself alone, and the temptation of going to the liquor store when you stop in town. I don't really have any advice, but I definitely know it was way more difficult for me to stay sober when I was all alone in the middle of nowhere.

All the best to you and your recovery
Old 03-28-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Come join us in the March 2016 club. Fantastic people and tons of support! You can do it, I know you can.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

Welcome!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Keep trying

Wow - I could have written your exact post this morning. Embarrassed where my drinking has led me - some of those people were good for me to let go but wish the endings were healthier.

Keep going - it's been a while since I've felt great but I really want to get better. I think you do too. 😀
Old 03-28-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome gardengirl.

Write down any bad feelings and thoughts. Keeping a journal will help you work through the stuff and help you on your way to your new future.

Hugs to u.xx
Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning GG!
How's your day going so far?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning Hawkeye13,
I got up early and took dog on a long walk. I'm just taking it an hour at a time. I still feel like crap but that's what happens when you drink poison.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Things will ease up soon, Gardengirl. You'll begin to heal and get your life back.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congrats on day one.
The first 3/5 days are the most difficult. Like everyone else said, it is not too late and you might live alone in the country but you are not isolated and friendless (aside from your doggie) anymore.

SR has a recovery meeting in about 30 minutes in the chat room. It's not AA or other specific program but the facilitator (Is it still HuntingtonTx?) picks a topic and you can share on it if you want to or you can just read
Chat room is located on the right hand side corner and you need Java for it (free program).

I hope you will join us at the 24 hours recovery connections where we commit not to drink or drug that day. It is a fun and supportive way to hold ourselves accountable and the ladies facilitating it are sweeties. Range of sobriety there is from one day to decades and we always cheer up and encourage each other.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5876154

I would also suggest that you join the class of March where you can get and give support to your peers who quit at the same time and are going through fairly similar things. The Januarians 2013 will always be close to my heart and it really helped me having friends on a small thread.

Generally speaking, the Marchers are a merry crew (no matter which year). I think it is because they start a new life in the Spring which is when we can witness nature's rebirth. In March, hope is just in the air. Anyway, those guys and gals are great.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-14.html

Like you are already aware of, make a plan and don't drink no matter what and if you are struggling or feel like drinking post here before you do so. We are open 24/7

Welcome to the rest of your life. You can do it, we ve got your back. You are not alone anymore
Old 03-29-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early recovery I used to walk my dogs any time I had a craving to drink. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober.