Notices

Depressed and hungover

Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey there Fresh - I've been there too, believe me. It gets better and better each sober day that goes by.

Do you have a plan for staying sober yet? For me, I do things like eat healthy snacks between main meals, go to the gym and get good work-outs (helps with sleep), listen to inspiring speakers, go on SR and read some of the beautiful posts on here of triumph, struggle, redemption, and realization (and reclamation), and I always have a glass of water with me. When I have that glass it supplants having a can of beer, which was my regular go-to poison.

Welcome to your new life - keep it up!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome freshstart.

Working on a plan is the key. Since you asked about plans here's mine...

I journal a lot that's part of my plan.
I write down every time I want to drink so I notice it and then try and figure out what I'm really feeling.
I've figured out my main trigger is being overwhelmed so I've had to make changes for the better. Minimise, reduce, eliminate stress/stress people/stressful situation/negative thinking etc.

Also i used to drink as a reward, so I've had to change what a reward means, now it's anything but getting wasted.

New triggers pop up too - my child getting bullied at school - I wanted to drink badly - trigger was 'I'm scared'.. And on and on my plan goes
I'm getting to know how I live and feel better so now make better life decisions.

Welcome xxxx
Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What is your plan? Advice and support would be helpful

I'm no longer trying to get sober, I'm in a sobriety maintenance phase. Therefore, it's not as intense as it was in the begining.

Right now, for me the two main components are a few AA meetings a week, and logging on to this website almost daily so that I don't become complacent. I also play competitive tennis 3 - 4 times per week which helps with stress and I've also meet a ton of people who are physically active and take care of themselves (so, I guess that's a different peer group).

In the beginning I did a lot more of the above (except the tennis) and read as many books as I could on alcoholism and recovery stories. I also did some outpatient group stuff for awhile. And, I joined one of the monthly sobriety groups on this website which I would highly recommend.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Freshstart135 View Post
Drank way too much last night, made a fool of myself. I told myself I was not going to drink this weekend, we went away with friends (big drinkers) probably not a good idea, I didn't have a sober plan in place. Drank because I was feeling down and uncomfortable. I really hope today March 27th 2016 is the first day of my new life without alcohol, I don't even enjoy drinking anymore. It makes me depressed, fat, lethargic and anxious, so why do it. I pray I can do this.
You can, you can, you absolutely can.

This might turn out to be the best weekend of your life if you make it your turning point. Look how much you learned -- hanging around drinkers isn't good for you right now, always need to have a sober plan, and it wasn't even enjoyable!

This is all solid, solid information you can use to your advantage next time. Knowledge is power. You can do this.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Freshstart135 View Post
What is your plan? Advice and support would be helpful
if I may jump in, there are some great ideas on plans here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D