Notices

I don't understand smokers of tobacco/cigarrettes

Old 03-27-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I don't understand smokers of tobacco/cigarrettes

Alcohol I "get", it temporarily makes you feel relaxed/happy. From what I've heard, weed does something similar. Most of the other drugs seem to share the same thing in common (ie they somehow make you "feel good"). "Feeling good" seems to be the common denominator amongst addictive substances.

The one I don't understand at all is cigarrettes/tobacco. What is the benefit of smoking? I don't get it. I've never heard a reason as to why people smoke, they "just do it". They seem like cancer sticks with no benefit at all, and they are super expensive compared to say alcohol. At around $5+ a pack, it's very easy for a heavy smoker to rack up a multi-hundred dollar bill per month.

What is it about cigarrettes? Is there some sort of "euphoria"? Some sort of "high"? Other than the addictive nicotine of course, I don't see what the point is.

I am guessing for most it is a habit picked up in the teens/peer pressure (since all the "cool kids" are doing it), and then becomes a lifetime habit as the brain gets hooked. Most of the smokers I know started during high school/teenage years so this theory seems to have some merit.

This is not meant to insult anyone, i'm genuinely curious as to why smokers smoke. My own dad is a life-time smoker, although when i ask him why he smokes he seems to dodge the question or not have any answer.

Any smokers care to chime in on this?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Dopamine release or substitute as with other addictions - very powerful. I found it harder to quit initially than alcohol.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036601_ni...addiction.html
Old 03-27-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I chewed tobacco for 10 years. Just quit 3 weeks ago... It's a stimulant I believe but also can have a calming effect. The feeling is hard to explain, added with caffeine it made me seem more alert. It becomes an unhealthy habit fast. Terrible stuff, Glad I finally gave it up while I still have a jaw.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It also makes you feel relaxed and happy like all other drugs.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Dopamine release as with other addictions - very powerful. I found it harder to quit initially than alcohol.
I've also heard similar things from other alcoholics: they kicked the bottle habit, but still struggle to break/escape the cigarette habit.

Nicotine must be pretty powerful. I'm glad I never picked up a cigar, nicotine sounds like something else....
Old 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I was told nicotine stimulates and relaxes a person (this is during one of my trying to quit times).

I am about to try again. This is worse than alcohol or drugs for me.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit drinking but quitting cigs is a nightmare.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I've never heard a reason as to why people smoke, they "just do it".
Really? I'm an ex-smoker and find that odd! I didn't start smoking until I was in my late twenties, and I did it for the physical effect not how it looked.

Are we allowed to talk about what we like about smoking though? Once I mentioned something about what I get out of drinking (and how to address that with alternatives) and was told it could be triggering.

I'll just say that I liked the way smoking made me feel in a number of ways, but also that I'm very glad I gave up because it's so horribly bad for you.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I think that part of the pleasure is in satisfying the craving for nicotine,that the smoker created for them self.

Incidentally $5 for 20 is cheap Grubby, in the UK they are £8.50 or US $ 12. Glad I quit a long time ago
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People mostly smoke to stave off the nicotine withdrawal.
Go too long without a cig and you start getting irratible and restless and cravings
Old 03-27-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Much like drinking, when I was a smoker it started out that it was a bit relaxing... Once the habit set in that is. Then the habit is ingrained and in the absence of satisfying the craving you have mood swings etc. basically the same as why one drinks and such - because you like the feel of it and eventually even if you don't it is a habit.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As you said in your post..the brain gets hooked just as it does with alcohol. I used to smoke and didn't even like it but I had to. Same with alcohol towards the end. I got nothing out of it but my addictive brain had to have it. I definitely now miss neither one!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I smoked at school, been a smoker ever since, its an addiction like any other, there is no high from it tho, the body finds it bloody hard to cope without nicotine in its system. I personally wish Id never picked a cigarette up tbh.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Definitely once you are hooked the only relief you get is from your withdrawal symptoms. I'm so happy to be free from it.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I tried to pick it up but I didnt like it. I'm so glad it didn't stick.

Actually, I live in santa Barbara and I want to say that I hardly ever see smokers. I feel like it's not as popular as it used to be.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is definitely a physiological response to smoking. That's what gets us and keeps us addicted.

I for one find it a much easier monkey on my back to get rid of than alcohol. Right now money aside I am fine with smoking. It's keeping me sober.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
There is definitely a physiological response to smoking. That's what gets us and keeps us addicted.

I for one find it a much easier monkey on my back to get rid of than alcohol. Right now money aside I am fine with smoking. It's keeping me sober.
Whatever keeps you sober!!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The first time you smoke a cigarette you are likely to get a bit of a buzz or head rush. After you've smoked a while that feeling goes away but everything else gets worse. What you get instead is the withdrawal if you don't keep taking in the nicotine. It's not the same feeling as alcohol withdrawal but it is absolutely not pleasant.

I consider it the same as the days when I was drinking. You start drinking or smoking because it brings you pleasure, but by the time you are addicted it's torture and you just keep doing it to postpone the withdrawals. The pleasure disappears but the withdrawals keep pulling you back in.

FWIW I had a much harder time quitting drinking than I did smoking but I've heard plenty of people say the exact opposite. Either way it is not easy.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I regret ever starting to smoke back when i was 15. I wanted to be like cool kids and rebel. I smoked and thought I was with the in crowd. But then i got hooked. Smoked a few a day, then 1/2 pack. Usually a pack a day if drinking. The most enjoyable cigarette was in the morning or with coffee. There is a nice 2 second head high. You feel like really light headed. Not worth getting hooked. It turns into a bad habit where i always felt withdraw. Wait 2 hours at work for a break to smoke. Spend $5 to get into a smoking room at an airport. Pay $12 for a pack one. Desperately needed a pack in New Yok City. If i was drinking and low on smokes I would bum several and save them just so I wouldnt be caught without any. Normally i was the person bringing extra cogs to bum others.
It was sad seeing family members and friends die or get sick due to smoking related issues. I quit 5 years ago for a month and a half. I got so rage full and my mind only could think of smoking. This time has been better with Chantix. I still have moments where i want a cigarette. Similar to alcohol i play the tape through. I can smell other smokers now. It is gross. I also realized i have saved myself about $1500 now. Like any drug you need to use for maintenance and get trap by fear of withdrawals.
The physical withdraws arent bad compared to mentally breaking the habit. Especially when my whole day revolved around smoking.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I quit tobacco over 11 years ago and am over 6 months sober. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug and was 10 times harder to quit than quitting alcohol.

Believe me, you do not want to ever want to understand nicotine. The "cool kids "get you hooked and the then nicotine takes over.