Notices

I don't understand smokers of tobacco/cigarrettes

Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waywardson8260 View Post
I quit tobacco over 11 years ago and am over 6 months sober. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug and was 10 times harder to quit than quitting alcohol.

Believe me, you do not want to ever want to understand nicotine. The "cool kids "get you hooked and the then nicotine takes over.
Just got back from a brisk walk.

Wow.... judging by most of the responses to this thread, it seems the "cool kids and peer pressure" theory has some basis. My dad picked up smoking around 15 or so, and he's almost 70, so he been smoking almost his entire life.

I haven't heard of many people who started smoking later in life, almost every smoker i've known started in high school or around the teenage years.

As a side note, happy Easter to all
Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had to stay in the hospital for 7 days a few months ago. They gave me the patch each day, along with some benzodiazepines. I was still anxious, hostile, and could not stop thinking about going out for a smoke to calm me down. It's awful.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There's a definite head-rush you get from smoking, at least at first. I remember the first couple of times I tried smoking, I'd get that head rush from the first puff but by the end of the cigarette I'd develop a terrible headache. Nicotine overdose? It'd last for about an hour then fade away. Of course the more you smoke, the more dependent you become. That's when you're really screwed because you start getting headaches if you're not getting your nicotine fix
Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, this is off-topic, but our PM has suggested that cigarettes may go up to $40 a packet in Australia. They are currently around $27 for a pack of 25s.

And smoking is banned in so many places here. Seeing someone with a cigarette in their hand is becoming very unusual.

So hopefully the next generation won't need to have this conversation ~ nicotine is an awful drug. Very addictive. It took me ages to fully quit after I got sober.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Well, this is off-topic, but our PM has suggested that cigarettes may go up to $40 a packet in Australia. They are currently around $27 for a pack of 25s
Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
...Well, this is off-topic, but our PM has suggested that cigarettes may go up to $40 a packet in Australia. They are currently around $27 for a pack of 25...
For us Americans that is/would be........................:
$27. (Australian Dollars) = $20.41 (US Dollars);
$40. (Australian Dollars) = $30.24 (US Dollars).

I checked in the grocery store yesterday; a pack of Kool was selling for $4.94 (US Dollars), which would be $6.53 (Australian Dollars).

(o: