Notices

Hopeful

Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopeful

Hello, world. I am back again. I can't believe I signed up so many years ago. I can honestly say now that alcoholism is a progressive disease.

I had a problem before but was in denial. I had a great life, a good job, parents that love me, my son is healthy. A functioning alcoholic. Now, years later, I am not functioning anymore. I'm lucky I'm not in jail and I can still save my life, if I quit now. I can save my relationships... if I quit now. If I don't stop, I will ruin my life.

I don't want to ruin my life.

I asked for help for the first time a few months ago. I didn't receive the answer I was looking for. My step mom (who also drinks a lot) said it's okay to drink as long as you take care of your responsibilities BEFORE you drink. She said she's probably an alcoholic but no one questions her about it because she's highly functioning. So of course I tried that approach and it didn't work.

My boyfriend enables me. He's supportive when I don't drink but also supportive when I do.

I'm staying with my mom for Easter. I'm a complete disaster. I've been drinking and she asked me about it. I told her everything... and she said I need to stop. Immediately. I told her I'm not getting any support and she said "man up". Nobody likes an alcoholic. People get sick of alcoholics. People get tired of baby sitting a drunk. It's nobody's responsibility but my own.

I wish I had told her sooner, because that's the best advice I've heard. I needed to hear that. Because I don't want to be a sloppy drunk. And I don't want to be a victim.

And the best support I can have is myself.

I can't rely on other people to make me better... I am scared. I'm terrified. But I will get better.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes we just need to hear that tough love message from someone like out mom. Have you thought about a plan to help you along your journey? I know that has been key to me remaining sober.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back to the site. Coming here was the best thing I could do for my sobriety. I have learned so much and have received great advice.
Make a plan and stay close to this site.
You can do this!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's a girl I used to work with, she has been 4 years sober. She suggests AA meetings every day for at least a month...

That's my goal. That's my strategy.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi welcome back! Save yourself before it gets any worse xoxo
Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Telling my mom about how I was on day one really made the difference for me. She really helped me in the beginning just by hanging out, taking me to get groceries, being there for me. Sounds like you got a good one too. Listen to her and your heart and not to drinkers, well not active drinkers that is:-)
Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jade
Have you given any thought to a recovery plan to help you work out the nuts and bolts of staying sober?

D
Old 03-27-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Now you've made the decision that you want to get sober your friend is right, although I'd suggest not taking the every day part too seriously, inasmuch as, if you miss a day or two, it's not all spoilt and you can just get back there the next day. In my area there is only one a week, so all others mean travelling some distance, and with other commitments it would be extremely difficult to go every day. On the days I can't make it to a meeting I use speaker recordings and AA literature, and make phone contact with another AAERS or meet for coffee and a chat with one. AA can support you. It can offer fellowship and advice, and a means of learning how to be comfortable and happy in sobriety. If you work the steps, it can change your life.

I wish you all the best.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this time you can get sober for good.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here with us Jade x
Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
And the best support I can have is myself. I can't rely on other people to make me better... .
Yes, absolutely yes. Many of us, me included, have alienated family and friends with our empty promises. When I finally decided to stop for good, it was me who had to make it happen. The upside of that is that I found I was a much stronger person than I ever believed. You can do this. And, you can always find support here.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jade, how long as your longest time of sobriety? Make a plan and go for it.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really glad to see you, Jade. You sound ready to do it this time - we know you can.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Good to see you!

You CAN do this!!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi guys! My longest time sober is like two weeks. 8 days recently.

I really need to do it this time.

Thanks for all your support!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do it Jade congrats on day 8
Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Wow, consider yourself lucky to have such a wise mom. As I was reading the first part of your post, that's exactly what I was thinking, excuses and resentment, need to take some accountability, etc. And then, BAM, your mom says exactly that!

Well now that you know you need sobriety, go out and get it. Nothing stopping you, heaps of support here when you need it. And just remember, that first drink never works out well.