Notices

Taking substantial time off

Old 03-25-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

I lost my job and spent 13 months recovering and seeking work......I do much better with structure and a job!!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Are u saying it would have been better for u to be working those 13 months? its amazing that you were sober those 13 months before working wow! Maybe the time was needed?

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I lost my job and spent 13 months recovering and seeking work......I do much better with structure and a job!!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Taking time off from work wasn't an option for me, and having three kids my free time was limited. However, I made it a point to fill the hours I would have poured myself some wine at night with something else: kids activities, exercise, meditation, reading, SR, journaling, cleaning...

I think we each need to follow the path that allows us to remain sober, and I don't believe there is any right or wrong decision you can make. Just make sure you commit to whatever it is you decide.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One thing you might want to keep in mind is if you take some down time, try to keep daily structure in your life. (This is one of my failings, but hey I'm still sober so.)
Have you looked at a recovery plan?
That is what for me has been my go to. That is the thing YOU build your sobriety plan around. You can build your tool kit as you see pleasing, tailor it to what works and what doesn't, add and subtract as needed.
As others have said this is your sobriety and none of us will have all the right answers for what will work for you.
When I did my recovery plan I filled it up as much as possible with things I thought beneficial to me. Nothing was too big or too small to be.considered. I don't look at it often anymore but all the different sections are very clear in my head.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ah got it! Kids are such a blessing. Nothing can be more of a reason to stay sober at least for me I def think it would be. Also it makes you feel more responsible too. I am single and no kids at the moment but love your suggestions exercise, meditation, reading, SR, journaling, cleaning all seem great to me I am going to do all those thanks

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Taking time off from work wasn't an option for me, and having three kids my free time was limited. However, I made it a point to fill the hours I would have poured myself some wine at night with something else: kids activities, exercise, meditation, reading, SR, journaling, cleaning...

I think we each need to follow the path that allows us to remain sober, and I don't believe there is any right or wrong decision you can make. Just make sure you commit to whatever it is you decide.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A recovery plan is a great idea! Writing it out on paper -is that what you did? I am going to brainstorm all my different options. There is just something so therapeutic and soothing putting pen on paper it makes things so much clearer. Thank You

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
One thing you might want to keep in mind is if you take some down time, try to keep daily structure in your life. (This is one of my failings, but hey I'm still sober so.)
Have you looked at a recovery plan?
That is what for me has been my go to. That is the thing YOU build your sobriety plan around. You can build your tool kit as you see pleasing, tailor it to what works and what doesn't, add and subtract as needed.
As others have said this is your sobriety and none of us will have all the right answers for what will work for you.
When I did my recovery plan I filled it up as much as possible with things I thought beneficial to me. Nothing was too big or too small to be.considered. I don't look at it often anymore but all the different sections are very clear in my head.