SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello. 40 Days Today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/387385-hello-40-days-today.html)

oakleaf82 03-24-2016 04:51 PM

Hello. 40 Days Today

Hi everyone. I am back at this site after about 5 years hiatus. I became complacent and continued to drink during that time, knowing full well it was a problem, but not caring much or at least choosing to ignore it. I was not a daily drinker but a weekend binger. The roller coaster of binge, awful hangover, followed by a few days of guilt and anxiety, then feeling better just in time for the weekend to do it all over again. I don't know what exactly snapped me out of it but one weekend I just decided I did not want to do that. I don't drink at home really, always at a local bar. So that day I thought I'm not going to the bar this weekend. And I didn't and I've kept it up for 6 weeks now. What I have done different this time is reading a lot about alcoholism and specifically AVRT, which I am finding helpful. I have really avoided situations and people that I know will be triggers. I have the full support of my significant other, which is helping so much because in the past we were never quite on board with quitting at the same time. Drinking had really become our hobby that we shared together. I also think that perhaps I am just more mature now and ready to quit and not care what other people think about it. My next step is to start telling people close to me. I've been hesitant for a few reasons: if I drink again I'll feel stupid. At least if I haven't told people I'll be the only one that knows I failed (hesitated even posting here for that reason haha), I'm a private person and I don't want people knowing I have or had a problem or prying into my reasons. I realize I don't owe anyone an explanation but I do think if people know it will be easier for me stay sober. People know me as a drinker. Lastly I suppose if I don't tell people then I'm leaving the option open to easily drink again. So I need to start building my social life up again in a way that doesn't revolve around the bar and drinking friends. I can only avoid the world for so long. I have also been reading here a lot, just not posting :)

That said, I have been enjoying hangover free weekends, getting up early and working out on Saturdays instead of lying in bed in misery. I've always enjoyed excercising and am doing so much more regularly. And saving a lot of money it is truly astounding!

So that's my intro. The longest stretch I have had sober was 18 days last time I tried, and here I am at 40 days :)

Jtmlk 03-24-2016 04:59 PM

Thanks for your post. You must feel really good about your achievement :You_Rock_

least 03-24-2016 05:05 PM

Congrats on 40 days sober! :scoregood Keep going, it gets better. :)

Dee74 03-24-2016 05:24 PM

Congrats on your achievement Oakleaf :)

D

BD84 03-24-2016 06:57 PM

Weekend drinker -> daily binger -> weekend binger here.

Only weekends made it even worse. Kindling they call it set in.

BD is done. Cant wait till this weekend. I was thinking earlier how excited I would be on Thursday knowing I was gonna slam vodka and gatoraid on the way home from work tomorrow.

Done with it. Day 4

Purplrks3647 03-24-2016 07:27 PM

Awesome work - wow, 40 days! Thanks for sharing :)

Jan1755 03-24-2016 07:34 PM

Congratulations on 40 days.

oakleaf82 03-24-2016 07:39 PM

Thank you everyone!