Notices

Day 6

Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6

Just got in the house, kids at dads, it's the start of the bank holiday weekend, I'm lonely and bored, the night is stretching in front of me with nothing to do and no one to do it with... Really feel like a bottle of red wine
I've Made lots of plans to be productive tomorrow ..paint the house and sort the yard out... So drinking will ruin all of that I know this
Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anything you can do to make the most of your kids being out of the house? Watch a movie, catch up on a TV series, read a book in the bath.

Here's some ideas for keeping busy - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am feeling the same way tonight - and this is only day one for me....we can do this....just have to focus on the positive....Netflix is my friend tonight
Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's **** isn't it ?
Thursday are normally my night for drinking red wine as the kids always stay at dads then ...hate the internal struggle in my head
"Oh sod it! Life's too short just get some wine"
Against
"No I don't want to fail again and feel hungover tomorrow"
Arggghhh
Xx
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Life's too short to be recovering from drinking all the time imready.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Life's too short to be recovering from drinking all the time imready.
This is true - thank you x
Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have never woken up sober and feeling good, wishing I had drank the night before.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ImReady congrats on day 6
Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What about treating yourself to something right now? Ice Cream? Cheeseburger? A little reward for having such a great week! I know those are not exactly healthy alternatives but think of the calories you have already saved by not drinking.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah good idea .. I'm thinking of ordering a pizza ?
I've been lying on the couch for the past few hours eating the kids chocolate - when I don't even have a sweet tooth - Sighing Very dramatically feeling so hard done to haha

I think I'm over the danger "hour" and feeling stronger now
Thanks for the words of support xx
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you posting what you feel.

I've been there and done that. As all of us have. Something I kept in mind during those times that was a life saving suggestion from my therapist....

What you feel is an emotion. Recognize there's nothing physically holding you down or making you lie there. If you don't like with way you feel emotionally, then WORK to change it.

You can absolutely improve your outlook for the evening. Here's how.

1. Clear your mind by moving your thoughts to paper. Get some paper and a pen then write what's on your mind. Don't worry about grammar, spelling, style. What ever thought is in your mind, write it out. But here's the key...you MUST fill 3 pages. Even if it's "I want to drink" 100 times. If it's on your mind, you wrote it down.

2. Dedicate 5-10min on NOW. If you can do more, great. Close your eyes, and do this breathing exercise 3 times in a row: inhale deep 4sec, hold 2, exhale 4, hold 2. Then breath normal. Pay attention and focus on each body part from your toes to your face. How does it feel? Any senses? Hot, cold, ache, can you feel your heart beat in it? Part by part. Focus on NOW.

3. What CAN you do? Start a list. Think of some rewards. Because after all....YOU ARE 6 DAYS SOBER!!!! Yeah baby! You are AWESOME! Sooo close to an entire week too!

Bottom line is, it's a mental game. Do these steps to change your outlook: flush your mind, focus on now, move forward (what CAN you do).

ROCK ON! You're doing GREAT
Old 03-24-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

1. Clear your mind by moving your thoughts to paper. Get some paper and a pen then write what's on your mind. Don't worry about grammar, spelling, style. What ever thought is in your mind, write it out. But here's the key...you MUST fill 3 pages. Even if it's "I want to drink" 100 times. If it's on your mind, you wrote it down.

2. Dedicate 5-10min on NOW. If you can do more, great. Close your eyes, and do this breathing exercise 3 times in a row: inhale deep 4sec, hold 2, exhale 4, hold 2. Then breath normal. Pay attention and focus on each body part from your toes to your face. How does it feel? Any senses? Hot, cold, ache, can you feel your heart beat in it? Part by part. Focus on NOW.

3. What CAN you do? Start a list. Think of some rewards. Because after all....YOU ARE 6 DAYS SOBER!!!! Yeah baby! You are AWESOME! Sooo close to an entire week too!

Bottom line is, it's a mental game. Do these steps to change your outlook: flush your mind, focus on now, move forward (what CAN you do).

ROCK ON! You're doing GREAT [/QUOTE]

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that for me
It's really helped and I'm defo going to try the breathing next time I feel like depriving myself wine isn't worth it!
It's 8pm here in England so nearly bedtime for me haha I've got through another day and Thursday night which is my danger night ...I can't wait for Tuesday morning when I'm back to work and will feel so proud that I made it through the bank holiday weekend having completed all the jobs I've been planning on doing for months/years and all without wine xx
Old 03-24-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great stuff IC - thanks

D