Notices

Easter Weekender March 25

Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Hello to all
Having the possibility of an escape route is so important.
Last weekend some of my friends bought me a ticket for a rugby match. There really nice guys and ex rugby players, class blokes, but Ive never been able to say to them "a coke". Before the match we had our first beer and last night I had my last whiskey. I had been dry for one month before last weekend.
I went out to the shop this morning to buy a chocolate Egg for my daughter.
Not looking forward to the big family meals this weekend.
Thanks to all the members for reading my message.
Vinny
I completely understand your dread of this coming weekend. I'm only on day 3 and haven't had a completely sober weekend in nearly 15 years. Gonna be a tough one, but thankfully, I'm pretty stubborn. Good luck to you, and you can definitely say "a coke."
Old 03-24-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm in, sober thug life! Haha!

This rain in Chicago, seriously, stahpppp. Ugh. Every time it rains like this I think of this Morrissey song, just cuz it's an excellent rainy day song:

http://youtu.be/d0LeL9BUPtA

I'm glad to see some new people hopping on the Weekenders thread, welcome welcome welcome!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

May I extend a big welcome to all the new folks on board!!!

Those early weekends staying sober can be tough. What worked for me was planning ahead and trying to reduce the risk of me acting on positive drinking thoughts/AV. They can be quick and deceptive, so it's a good idea to have plan so that they don't catch you in a vulnerable position.

In the early days, I avoided social situations that involved alcohol. Why put yourself in a tempting situation? I changed my route home from work and made sure I had everything in that I needed. Why take the risk of a quick trip to the store when you might be tempted to pick up a six pack? I also kept myself busy and ate really well.

You can do this. Lots of people have here. Pipe in if you need support or go to the main board.

My best wishes,

B
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

A big welcome to the newest in our midst. Hang in there this weekend. You can stay sober!

As for me.... In between classes and wow. What exileration to have a connection with you and so many people. Great conversation. Laughs. Smart peopl so I just stick to what I know and let them heap on the experiences to help the entire class learn from each other.

I am tired! But round two coming up.

TMI... Thank god I wore the right color shirt and not something they can see me sweat.

K
Old 03-24-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Nice one K!!! Knock em dead tiger!!!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

nothing worse than people who cannot follow directions...for instance, if I give you a printout of a statement and ask you to hilite the expenses requested, that does not mean just start writing numbers at the bottom of the pages - &&^$&^%$!!!!! after over an hour of trying to get someone to just do what I ask - finally, all the tax paperwork is ready... she drives me nuts!

go get em Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tiger.JPG (84.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-24-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening friends
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

okay, beyatch time again... so I'm trying to figure out what this $327 was spent on. Was it for school books? NO
it was for this - shows me a small bag of skin care products - your xmas present. What?
Are you ffffffffffffffffffing kidding me?!!!! You spent over 300 bucks to buy me some snake oil? I could've already had a nice fishing reel for that amount of money. DON'T BUY ME ANY MORE PRESENTS!!!!!!! "Okay, if you want to get old..." Unbelievable! And let's not even bring up the belly fat pills she spent way too much money on that are still in the wrapping they came it. More nonsense. I just looked up the crap she spent over 300 for. And yep, it's nothing but hyped advertisement. ****!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi wolfie! How's your day?

The yogurt making experiment was a success. I got some really nicely textured, tangy yogurt from it. That'll be fun to keep up with, and so good for my digestion! Probiotic city!

I'm headed to the suburbs shortly, lunch with the ex and his son. Now that all the hostility between us has deflated, I'm looking forward to spending a nice day with them. All the fight has left us, I don't have to be right anymore about every little thing, now that I don't live there. Also I believe it's bc I'm working the aa program and The Promises are coming true for me.

Excellent stuff and I'm happy!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Have a good time Melina. Drive safely in the rain.

And it is still raining here. Someone down the hall commented "do you think this is what it's like to live in London? I mean, it rains in London a lot, right? People there have to be used to it." Ok, one of my co-workers tends to dither sometimes. Even if you're accustomed to something, doesn't make it any easier or more pleasant to deal with.

I think this is just a garden variety head cold. Mine tend to linger for a bit. I've only had it since Monday - it just seems like longer because I've been whining about it.

Go get them Ken!

Brain, maybe you can sell any unopened snake oil or belly fat pills on Craigslist or ebay?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My wife divorced me for trouser based irregularities so what do I know LB. You could come home with smooth, nice smelling skin or you could show off a slightly larger Carp that you had to get up at 3am to catch

You have to go with the flow sometimes
Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
And it is still raining here. Someone down the hall commented "do you think this is what it's like to live in London? I mean, it rains in London a lot, right? People there have to be used to it." Ok, one of my co-workers tends to dither sometimes. Even if you're accustomed to something, doesn't make it any easier or more pleasant to deal with.
Sometimes I'm so happy that I live where I do. When I lived on the east coast, it seemed like weeks would go by when I would see the sun maybe once or twice, if at all, and it was constantly dreary and grey. That would send me into a tailspin of depression that made me miserable. It seemed like Mother Nature was flipping me a middle finger whenever I went outside, whereas a bright sunny day was a huge ear-to-ear smile and wave. Nowadays, whenever I have to travel to Seattle or Portland for work (i.e. frequently), I never look forward to it, even though those are both, in reality, great cities to visit -- aside from the weather.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
My wife divorced me for trouser based irregularities
Sometimes it's weird to not be in on some of the in-jokes and old stories that you regulars all have shared in these weekend threads, and then sometimes I read quotes like the one above and am happy to just tell myself, "Let the mystery be."
Old 03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Sometimes it's weird to not be in on some of the in-jokes and old stories that you regulars all have shared in these weekend threads, and then sometimes I read quotes like the one above and am happy to just tell myself, "Let the mystery be."
No mystery.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I get what you're talking about, Sao. And not because of an inside joke. How you phrased it is funny, though.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Well that was a very difficult aftercare meeting.

Yeah I heard some stories that made me feel sad, and then when it was my turn to speak I ended up crying about the whole resentment with my mom.

So at the end the therapist was like "we have a few minutes left. What advice would you give to Tetra?" And he went around the table one-by-one.

I was a little embarassed but pretty much everyone said "move out".

So then this one guy started telling me in front of everyone "you know you have changed so much over the past year and a half that I have known you. When I first met you, you were this quiet little mouse. Now you look at me in the eyes and speak to me. And you cried in front of us tonight which you never did before. You shared your feelings with us".

So the therapist was nodding vigorously.

I just feel ...well kind of proud but I must have come across to others like a crazy person before.

As far as I can tell, the one good thing about getting older is that I care less and less about what others think about me.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

The rain has stopped. Mr. Ruby texted that he isn't feeling well. Apparently the cold is spreading.

I'm trying to muster enthusiasm for anything. I was reading facebook which is never a great idea but I'm feeling down about work and everyone seems to be doing better career wise. I'm not talking money either. But a sense of purpose. Dead end.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
No mystery.
Got it now. 'Twas an interesting turn of phrase that just made me assume I was missing something. Like the ex didn't like you wearing capri pants or something.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Lol Sao
Old 03-24-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Only 3 hours till the weekend yippee!!!!