Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do you meditate ?

Just want to thank everyone for participating if they choose too

Feel free to discuss & leave comments
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, but I should do it more- I can be very lazy about it!
Though I actually did last night.
I like the magic book series on youtube xo
Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am working on this, keeping thoughts from popping into my head while meditating is still an issue!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Yes! Either 10-15 minute sessions at night or I listen to a guided meditation that helps me fall asleep. Great stuff!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I initially tried silent meditation but because of tinnitus and my anxiety it actually seemed to make things worse at times. I've been trying out Metta meditation and guided/video based meditation and that seems to work much better. But as others have mentioned I need to be more disciplined and find time to do it on a more regular basis.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Yes - But what is meditation?

Do I meditate in the classic sense? No.

However, in the spirit of meditation being listening for the message from the power of my understanding, then I am becoming better at that. The 11th step has taught me simply to seek guidance and direction and to ask for help in doing "the right thing". Each day I "pray" to be receptive to the message, wherever it may come from. - I have to show up for the "conscious contact" that the step talks about.

Some days I do better than others. As long as I stay clean I can always pray to be a little bit better today than I was yesterday, and ask for help doing that. I just have to be receptive to the help.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As others, not often enough.
I do try to practice informal "mindfulness" often during a walk. I focus on my steps, on my breathing etc... and try to let thoughts pass in and out without much ado. It is probably a gross violation of proper meditation but it calms me down.
I also take time to do about 15-20 deep breaths during the day where I just focus on deep breathing and exhalation. That also helps.
I have an "insight meditation" group next door to my office and they do walking meditation among other things each afternoon/evening. I just haven't taken the time to check it out.
I'm a pro on reading about meditation though. It is apparently life altering when pursued seriously....
Take care everyone,
Jonathan
Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I try to make a point of meditating every day more in the morning to help balance my thoughts and help me plan my day

I'm not saying I meditate every day but I try to at least spend 10-15 mins in the morning and maybe 30 mins 45 mins in the evening

I've suggested it to Mrs sw and she does on a blue moon join in but it's not really her thing & I respect that but I think it helps and the more I practice it the deeper meditation I try to achieve I'm still a beginner lol

It was actually Scott who got me into it through mindfulness as i was interested in that so thank you Scott
Old 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wonder if people who do meditate and have an interest in it are more likely to click to see this post?
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Walking meditations seems to work the best for this monkeymind. I'm practicing my focus......it is hard but I know it is good for me.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have on and off for the past year or so. I've always been one to ignore helpful advice, behaviours etc ('i know better' ) but after a bit of forced humility, I've come to see that those days that I meditate (and/or practice yoga actually) are significantly better for my state of mind.
so yes, now I do!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I listen to music and close my eyes in the evening before heading to bed. Right now listening to a blues radio show. Doesn't give me the blues - so love the tunes! Real life.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Part of my recovery plan. Its become a habit.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get into some sort of meditative state when exercising. Does that count?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I pray to God and meditate on His word.
Not into chanting or bell ringing meditation.
MB
Old 03-23-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's something that I would like to try. I'm going to try it for the next two mornings. I may try it tonight before bedtime tonight too.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I am working on this, keeping thoughts from popping into my head while meditating is still an issue!
It's not an issue. First, every person who meditates regularly says "thinking" countless times on the cushion. Anyone, no matter how experienced, who says otherwise, is lying. And, my meditation instructor gave me an invaluable pearl of wisdom one day. She said: "When you notice that you are thinking and return to your breath, that split second of awareness is the most pure mindfulness that you can experience."

I have been meditating for years, and sitting meditation is a big component of my graduate program. But, within the last six months, my practice has made huge leaps in quality. By quality, I mean that the way that I am able to be kind and compassionate to myself during and after my sitting has become as important as the meditation itself. And in these last four weeks of real recovery (I feel like this is the first time that I am approaching my recovery with a desire to be sober more than I want to have another drink) I have had a drive to meditate more often, and simply to be in contact with the experience of meditation. I have begun giving up my attachment to outcomes, whether it be in my meditation, my sobriety, my philosophical investigations, my relationships with others and myself, and started being mindful and in the present moment.

That was a very long-winded answer. Especially because all I originally intended to say was that if anyone is interested in learning about meditation, or learning more about meditation, I whole-heartedly endorse the book How to Meditate, by Pema Chodron.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks everyone thought more mods would have posted well thanks Scott
Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I voted yes. I have an old cassette tape (yes I still own a walkman) Lol.. Its a guided white light meditation. I'm also looking for some smart phone apps. I also meditate on God's word. Listen to sound scape music. Visualizing a happy place. I try not judging my thoughts & focus on visualizing.. My journey into a peaceful place in nature. Don't do it everyday. Not proficient at this. I'm practicing in AM & PM.

Thank you for the poll.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you I'm thinking of starting a thread in the user created threads section about posting what videos works for everyone

Yay or Nay ??