Notices

looking to give up alcohol again

Old 03-21-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking to give up alcohol again

Did very well years ago after marital separation. Was dry for seven months but wife insisted I could have occassional drink. Now back to over a six pack Friday Saturday and Sundays.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've noticed there are two kinds of people that encourage me to drink. Heavy drinkers/Alcoholics and people that don't understand alcoholism.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are in the right place luvtohavefun welcome to SR.

I'd suggest checking out many of the useful links sticky'd at the top of this forum... if you get a chance read about recovery plans. That his been they key to the success of my sobriety this time around.

There is a lot of phenomenal support in this forum. Welcome aboard!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR luvtohavefun
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, luvtohavefun123. Sobriety certainly is a better way of life.

I hope you'll join us in the Class of March 2016 thread found on this same board. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also newly sober.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
If my girlfriend said I could have an occasional drink, I'd tell her she could have an occasional shot of heroin. It's that serious.
My girlfriend can drink socially. I can't, and she knows why because she's well aware of my past and alcoholism.
I feel for you. It must be rough having a spouse who doesn't support you.

You'll find lots of support here and maybe it's time to have a sit down talk with your wife.
Best to you.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you will find lots of support on this forum. You should definitely join the March class, you will find members at the same point in their sobriety, and it is a great support.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I agree. It's time to have a talk with your wife about the fact that you can't drink at all. I hope she'll be more helpful in the future.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One decision at a time my friend = SOBER!!!

Tuff act to follow..

But you must LET GO not just of the past, but sometimes of your friends, acquaintances, and behaviors that are familiar triggers. Get ready for loneliness and boredom! You will need to find a hobby as well - I started going to the gym just to be there in a healthy environment and I'm really enjoying just walking on the treadmill and lifting a few weights once in a while. Again, atmosphere is really important. I have realized that making a lot of small right decisions leads to another day sober. Again, sobering up long term is a one on one battle with yourself but it's one you can WIN. It does take determination and an attitude change ( you have to WANT to live ) and it will get boring as you stare at yourself sober and can't figure out what to do with yourself. It will be rewarding. And again - try not to think of not drinking as a whole big challenge, break it down into smaller, easy to achieve decisions. However, it's really EASY to just drive PAST the liquor store! One decision at a time my friend = SOBER!!!