Notices

How do people actually do Facebook?

Old 03-21-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do people actually do Facebook?

I'm a problem drinker. having trouble stopping and reintegrating into society. I rejoined Facebook several days ago, vowing to make it my "Sober Calling" and "Beacon of Positivity" after having neglected to do that in the past. After a couple of weeks of adding back friends, being "positive" and saying positive things about others, I started adding people at a frantic pace, and drinking wine in conjunction (tonight only) - I didn't say anything bad but I had a panic attack and then deactivated!!! I was scare of all the people out there and wanted to disconnect and decompress. I can't do Facebook nor can I do alcohol.

Day 1 tomorrow.

- Juno
Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If FB triggers you it makes sense not to do it Juno.
Glad you're back with us

D
Old 03-21-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away. I have blocked and hidden posts/pictures related to wine because I didn't feel like having them on my wall.

There are a few recovery groups on there as well with very inspirational posts.

However, like Dee said, if you are triggered stick with SR instead of FB.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know lots of people love FB, but I tried it and deleted my account after a month. First, I waste enough time online as it is and second, to me, on Facebook the world is forever high school.

Real life is challenge enough, for me anyway!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

on Facebook the world is forever high school
I had a fb account once. For a day. Then I deleted it. I don't miss it.

If it bothers you, don't do it.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

What's facebook?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are a lot of things I like about it, and a lot I loathe about it.

It has brought some cool things to the human experience, yet is robbing many others, perhaps others far more vital.

I am back and forth over how I feel about it... yet I'm sure it is only the first wave of far reaching fundamental changes..... it's not going away but has only just begun.

So I seek to find balance with it, as sometimes I must work at even here.

Seems there can be an addictive dark side to nearly anything.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have vowed not to log onto Facebook until I have at least 90 days of sobriety. Too many triggers! Here are a few:
1. People always post photos while they are drinking or drunk.
2. I compare my life to theirs.
3. What you see on Facebook isn't really the truth.
4. People post too many negative things that scare the crap out of me sometimes
5. Too many political posts!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I deleted myself from FB years ago....one of the greatest decisions I've ever made...(and when I combined FB with alcohol, hoooo, boy! I definitely don't miss that!)

Sounds like something you could take a break from, especially if it's giving you panic attacks
Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't post much on facebook. Sometimes I'll post a pic of a meal, not that I really care but everyone else does it.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I enjoy Facebook. I am a member of some very positive groups (most of them secret or private) and I also like to play Gardens of Times. FB also allows me to stay in touch on a regular basis with some (real life) friends all over the world. I would never be able to afford talking to them on the phone. I also used FB a lot in the past for advocacy.
I have no problem blocking "drama" people and I will unfollow people whose posts I don't want to see on my feed.
I hear a a lot of people on SR complaining about the alcohol and party posts... I really don't see many.
I agree with the others, if FB is a trigger for you then definitely delete your account.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Ohhhh boy, drunken facebooking, what a recipe for disaster. Lordy, how I remember waking up in a panic and checking to see if I posted anything embarrassing after blacking out ( 90% of my drinking experiences). Mostly, I found I was behaved, but sometimes not. Needless to say, some people unfriended me.

However, now that I have a good amount of sober time under my belt, I don't mind FB much at all.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses I thought I was mentally stable enough for it - though I meant well in connecting with others it put me in a bad spiral and it's not a healthy place for me right now. I need a little more serenity at this point in my journey, and that is not to be found on the pages of Facebook for me. I know it can be fun - it was fun at one point, but I'm not able to navigate the ups and downs of it right now...time to take a few steps back. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a lot of problems with Facebook in the beginning too. I unfollowed a lot of people (to avoid their posts), blocked some and left several groups. Like the beer club.

In this past year I've joined several groups I love being a member of and I've "liked" a lot of pages. DIY, art shows, concerts and local events. I've tweaked Facebook, and now it's like this huge catalogue of activities, discussions and positive input. It drowns out the personal posts, and I hardly ever see anything that triggers me.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's good advice Stella Polaris! For now, I've permanently deleted my account. Seems to be the best course of action for me right now.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know a couple of people in recovery who closed out their FB accounts for the reasons you just described. You are not alone.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't do Facebook
Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Juno, I'm glad you started this thread as I have wanted to put in my 2 cents about Facebook for awhile. I used facebook to post my projects and promote my business, and occasionally a vacation. I have time off now so I log on daily to see if anything worthwhile is happening. 99% of the time, I log off within minutes because its garbage (at least those I'm "friends" with). It should be called meme.com. The one positive I take away from it is people are constantly posting their drinking habits. I look at the pictures and opposed to feeling envy, I feel disgust and/or relief. My social circle is people in 40's and 50's, and seeing pictures of them with shots lined up or showing off an expensive bottle does nothing for me. I suppose they "think" they are posting something we should be envious of, for this guy, they are not.

I'd rather watch a 2 hour documentary on the fall of the Roman Empire than I would a FREE night at the bar.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

While FB does have some legitimate use, most of what you'll find there is either simply a waste of time or a vanity contest. There are far better ways to keep in touch with important people in your life without all the hassle. I de-activated my account several years ago and don't miss it even one little bit.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I use facebook for extra reading. Inspirational
pictures, recovery quotes, tattoo interests,
fun destinations to ride to on our motorcycle,
golf, pets, flower intersts. Fun, devotional,
uplifting information that makes me smile,
keeps me tunes into daily events, golf leader
boards, LSU games, Tennis and I could go on
and on.

I don't chat with anyone on there, but
do have friends or family connected