Notices

How do people actually do Facebook?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Like thomas, I'd rather watch a documentary on something interesting that makes me think than follow people on facebook or post anything about myself.

Having said that I mainly use it to keep in touch with family, cousins that I can't see very often and stuff like that. I also like that one of my sisters posts OLD pictures again mainly of family and I find those to be special. Also, getting in touch with old classmates and high school friends has been kind of nice.

I can see where people would get on there an compare themselves to others and for some odd reason feel like they are missing out on something. I never feel that way when looking at facebook. My life is very fully and demanding at times even! As far as 'selfies' go: I don't know HOW to take a selfie let alone post one!

Anyhow, I quickly grow bored with facebook, so don't spend much time there, but feel no need to delete it or deactivate it. It's not really a trigger, it just bores me.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm on FB daily and enjoys it. I block alcohol related things (and others I don't like for that matter) but have a lot of positive connections there with others with like interests... Parents, friends, various sports and activities have groups there I participate in.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lots of opinions - I have enjoyed reading the varied responses. For me it triggers a addictive helpless feeling like I don't know how to stop or where to stop. I have trouble saying "no" to friend requests because I feel sorry for the person I'm rejecting. Then I end up having guilt and waste too much time and energy deciding whether to keep or delete someone if I don't like the stuff that they post. I think it just creates an unhealthy dynamic within me, not to mention the subliminal view that alcohol is a good thing, which seems to be an acceptable point of view among people my age and my circle. Look at this nice of picture of a cocktail I'm posting! I'm really "living the life!" 100 likes. Ha ha, I know it's not real but I do think it's unhealthy for me.

Ironically, I was off Facebook for a long time recently and actually got out of the habit of wanting to constantly post status updates. It look me a while, and then look what I did - I went back and tried to do it all over again. Kind of like something else I know
Old 03-22-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've heard said that one of our biggest struggles us that of reconciling our insides (who we are) with our outsides (what we project ). This was certainly true for me, and Arsebook was definitely a place where it seemed normal and acceptable to 'project'. As part of my recovery this is something I steer clear of so I post very little now. I think there have been less photos of me posted on Arsebook in the last 2 years than there used to be each month when I was still active. All of those photos projecting a happy carefree person that actually didn't exist.

I still use it as it's a handy way to keep in touch with friends and family from overseas, and for specific groups I'm in (local choir, running club, etc.) But I don't scan the pages like I used to, and I've set up many people whose posts are irksome so that I don't see their posts on my wall.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I think you can live a very happy and fulfilling life without Facebook OR alcohol. Skip them both for a nice, long while.