Notices

Young and Looking for Some Piece of Mind

Old 03-21-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Young and Looking for Some Piece of Mind

Hello everyone, I'm new around here.

I'm young (22 years old). Fresh out of college, but I've got a problem. That problem is binge drinking. I don't always drink everyday (although lately I have been drinking a little almost everyday) but I go on ridiculous binges on the weekends. The thing is, since I'm still young and pretty fresh out of college, a lot of my friends see this as a bit normal, but I know it isn't. I know I have a problem. I can't stop after the one drink and I tend to engage in risky behaviors. Luckily, these behaviors while exceedingly embarrassing, aren't illegal, but I know that if I keep going down this path it'll happen.

I actually avoided alcohol through most of my high school years, and even through some of the beginning of my college years for the most part, but around the time I hit 20 something changed. Before this I only really drank on holidays or the rare party here and there, but I started drinking alone at home. Sometimes during the week. I don't know why I kept it up because instead of feeling good, I'd actually get super depressed and I'd keep drinking to try and feel the way I did when I first started drinking alcohol. This didn't work and I started binging even more. Now I find myself binging two or more times a week, spending all of my money, and getting myself into trouble. After a St. Patrick's Day binge that really scared me, I decided I can't do this anymore.

So, I know I'm young, but I realize I have a problem and I want to stop. I haven't drank in two days now and I wrote down a plan and promise to myself about stopping this terrible habit. It brings me so much guilt and anxiety. There's honestly nothing fun about it anymore.

I hope to meet some other people on this forum that know the struggle. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Malleus

I think it's really great you're realising you have a problem and doing something about it now at such a young age

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here - some good ideas too

Welcome!
D
Old 03-21-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Malleus
Old 03-21-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. My pattern of alcohol abuse was clearly established when I was 22. However, I didn't clearly see it until I quit, at age 54.

You are wise to see the problem and do something about it.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm already starting to feel the support. I'm honestly not in a very happy place at the moment. I have a hard time talking to my friends about this because like I mentioned they just think I'm the typical hard partying young twenties guy but I know I have a problem bigger than that. Especially when I'm drinking at home.

One thing I always thought I was using alcohol for was to make friends. I've always been pretty socially anxious, and alcohol felt so liberating. I felt like I could talk to anyone. But I've realized that alcohol has not actually given me a single friend. Drunken conversations never go anywhere, and I tend to say things I really don't mean or regret later.

I was also a singer in a heavy metal band for a few years. I used to try and use that as an excuse to tap into my creativity while writing. It honestly did the complete opposite. I never got anything worthwhile done.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober life is the only life.
Sober life is a beautiful life.

Welcome.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Malleus.

Wish I had have done something about my drinking at 22 (I'm 34 now).Trust me, if you don't do something now, it will only get worse and you won't notice it sneaking up on you. Nip it in the bud now.

Feel free to come over to March 2016 class.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Malleus - I'm 20 so I can relate to friends not understanding the decision to abstain. If alcohol is affecting your life then it's a problem. Regardless of how old you are! We just caught it early.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Malleus!!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You're smart to get sober now while you still have your whole life ahead of you.