Notices

I drank

Old 03-20-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank

I won't make this long, but to keep honesty and integrity in the life I am trying to lead I need to post that after 496 days of sobriety I had a glass of wine at a supper party last night.

I had no ill effects from the alcohol itself, but today has not been an easy day. I have had a heavy heart and a shadow over my head. Lately I had been resisting the idea that we only get 24 hours of sobriety at a time, but today this has new meaning for me.

One thing that is clear to me today is that I want to lead a sober life. I have contacted my sponsor to share my experience. I have chosen to redo the 12 steps of AA, and I have intention to attend an AA meeting tomorrow at noon. I never officially have kept up with a monthly class here, but I would like to join the March 2016 class.

In spite of the unpleasant feelings I have today, I also have a peace that I have not felt in a while. I have been letting some resentments build up and erode my peace for the last while, and I am looking forward to the journey ahead.

I appreciate you all.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you are right back working your recovery.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have taken some positive steps today towards your resolve to not drink. Hope you find your peace and serenity again
Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done posting here, don't let one slip take away the proudness you should feel for having done 496 days. Have to say if I had a glass of wine after all that sobriety and then resolve to not drink again I would feel something of a hero!
Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank Lance but I'm glad you're back
are you planning to do anything differently this time?

D
Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to see that you drank, but by all means, let it stop with just this one time.

I had over 5 years of sobriety, and they I drank. Once I started again, I had a hard time staying stopped. It took me about a year of on-again, off-again drinking before I could get sober again.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand your heavy heart, our sobriety is precious to us. The good news is, you can get it back and keep it forever this time.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stay close, Lance.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back lance, sounds like you did a lot of thinking today and have some postive thigns already in motion. You are always welcome here on SR and I think joining a class thread is a great idea.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lance. I'm sorry you drank, but glad you are putting your plan in place to move forward, with even more strength and resolve.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lance, it's good that you're thinking things over and coming up with a plan to work on your recovery.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Lance. I am sorry you drank but I really want to thank you for sharing that with us. You helped me stay sober. I've got almost 10 months and there are times when I think that a drink won't hurt...but I fear what you just described...the self-loathing and depression that come with a drink. I am sorry you had to experience it but I thank you, once again, for sharing and helping me stay sober.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lance, I'm sorry you drank. Also sorry you feel bad about it. But I'm super grateful for two things: you are recomiiting to sobriety and this isn't an "I drank but" post.

It's so nice to see a person fess up and tell it like it is, with no rationalizations. I think you are gonna be just fine. Here's to another 24 hours!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Lance. You got this. Re-focus and get back to it, my friend!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Don't make it a bigger, blacker thing than it really is. You're a good person, and you're succeeding in sobriety. But I can tell it's extremely important to you to live a 100% alcohol-free life. And this is smart, because I know you've seen a lot of people fall back into the pit, starting with just a single glass of wine.

Just do what you're doing, renew your commitment, and carry on the sober life you've been living.

Let go of the self-flagellation and negativity; it's not necessary and it won't help you. It's always much stronger to move TOWARD something positive than AWAY from something negative. You've learned how awesome sobriety is, so just keep that as your North Star.

Great job on over a year sober!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Lance,

I am glad you came right back on here and posted, 496 days of sobriety is incredible. I am on Day 80 today, that thinking I could have one drink has been my downfall too many times to count.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place moving forward.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies and support. It means a lot to me.

Dee - I don't have a quick or easy answer about what I'm going to do differently. Looking on, I have been taking all the right actions; but one thing I can identify is that over time I can tend to lose ownership of my sobriety. Instead of it becoming something that I willingly choose as the way that I want to live, I start to look at my sobriety program as a burden that is forced on me. That starts me down a path to internal resentments, resistance and fault finding.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lance, you are very wise to not allow that glass to turn into a full relapse. Your AV took advantage at a moment of weakness, but it hasn't won; soldier on!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad your here!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your with us Lance

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html