SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Guy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/387144-new-guy.html)

yankeesfan02 03-20-2016 04:17 PM

New Guy

Hi. I'm new here to SR.
I'm a guy beginning a long, long process into getting back on my feet after my 2nd DUI.
The depression and anxiety has been overwhelming over the past 4 months. I'm not sure how this story is going to end.
Fortunately my family has been very supportive.
I'm looking forward to reading many of the posts in this forum for advice, support and just good ideas.
Good luck all....

Youcangetthere 03-20-2016 04:20 PM

Hi New Guy, and welcome. I reached out like you, and was offered many hands to help me get up when I was in the gutter...

SansaS 03-20-2016 04:21 PM

Welcome to SR

Dee74 03-20-2016 04:30 PM

Hi yankeesfan :)

I really believe the story can end anyway you want it to - the proof is all around you :)

I'm glad you've found us - welcome :)

D

least 03-20-2016 05:23 PM

Welcome to the family. :) Getting sober is the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope we can help you with your situation. Are you in any alcohol program? AA or something? It can't hurt and it might help you. :)

Jtmlk 03-20-2016 05:42 PM

Welcome and good luck to you as well. This is a great place to hang out, don't think I've ever met such supportive people in my life,

Zebra1275 03-20-2016 05:47 PM

Welcome to SR!

yankeesfan02 03-20-2016 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5861689)
Welcome to the family. :) Getting sober is the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope we can help you with your situation. Are you in any alcohol program? AA or something? It can't hurt and it might help you. :)

I'm starting to see a therapist this week. Taking this very seriously. And actually I can't wait. One day at a time.....

Hevyn 03-20-2016 06:09 PM

Glad to meet you, yankeesfan. :) I was in a similar state when I found SR. Knowing I was no longer alone meant everything. You sound positive and ready to change your life.

yankeesfan02 03-20-2016 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 5861765)
Glad to meet you, yankeesfan. :) I was in a similar state when I found SR. Knowing I was no longer alone meant everything. You sound positive and ready to change your life.

The emotional stress is a roller coaster. Up and down. At the moment I'm positive. But I know that the next week or two will be very tough. Job, family stress, etc. But I know my life will change..... As long a I have family motivation. And I'm aware it'll take a long time to straighten out my life. Fingers crossed..... Today is only day 3.

Hevyn 03-20-2016 06:29 PM

One thing we've learned - drinking does nothing to help us cope with stress. It just adds to our anxiety. Wish I'd figured that out many years ago.

AdelineRose 03-20-2016 06:39 PM

Welcome to SR, this is a great site for support and getting honest feedback!

As for not knowing how this story is going to end, why don't you decide how you want your story to end. I mean it is your life, who better to decide how it is going to go then you? You can take control of your life and with the right tools it doesn't have to be as impossible as it might seem at this moment. Have you tried meetings, going to counseling, talking to a psychiatrist about the anxiety, and just forming a real solid base to stand on to keep moving forward as you reach goal after goal that you set for yourself.

You can do this, at one point it seemed impossible for every single person here and yet there are so many people here that have great stories of recovery. NEVER give up and keep moving forward, no matter how small the steps forward might be.

Delilah1 03-20-2016 07:28 PM

Welcome to SR Yankeesfan02!!!

I'm glad you have he support of your family, and you will also find lots of support on this site.

I am a die hard Yankees fan as well, and your username made me think of Derek Jeter, and how much I miss seeing him in pinstripes!

Glad you are here.

❤️ Delilah

Hevyn 03-21-2016 01:32 PM

How's it going today, yankeesfan?

PurpleKnight 03-21-2016 01:56 PM

Welcome to the Forum YankeesFan!! :wave:

yankeesfan02 03-21-2016 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 5863001)
How's it going today, yankeesfan?

Not bad today Hevyn. Had my first therapist appt tonight. Seemed productive. Long way to go.
How about with you?

Hevyn 03-21-2016 06:21 PM

Well, except for the spring snow - everything is fine, thanks. ;)

chrcarlson 03-21-2016 06:39 PM

yankeesfan02, I know how you feel. No, really I do. I'm working off a 2nd offense DUI myself. I had to plead it out in January. I'm in Texas but I'll bet the punishment is similar. They put a breathalyzer in my truck to bond out a year ago. I still drank but was careful about driving. Went bad on me a few times in the morning. Thought I was hungover but still had enough alcohol to "ring the bell." So i spent $150 on my own breathalyzer, a little pre-tester as it were. Worked great-no more problems. I quit drinking a few days before my last pretrial hearing just "incase." The hearing was very stressful as you may know. I left thinking I shouldn't be drinking anything...so I stopped and got some beer. Drank that and more. It sure relieved the stress. Next morning I woke up in a panic. What type of moron would continue to drink? I didn't even think I could quit. Went to AA that night Dec 9 2015. 103 days sober today. maybe the DUI's were a blessing. I actually enjoy the Community Service part.

Best Wishs. PM me if you like. I know a lot about DUI's, been arrested for it 5 times.

waterlogged 03-21-2016 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi welcome to the family. Just try to stay focused on life without alchol one step at a time xx

Soberwolf 03-22-2016 06:26 AM

Welcome