Notices

Going in to week 4 and still have some troubling symptoms

Old 03-20-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going in to week 4 and still have some troubling symptoms

Can anyone in the 3-4 week sober range share what they're feeling with respect to physical symptoms?

I am 3 weeks sober as of yesterday and still feel fatigued, nauseous, unmotivated but not anxious. This is nothing compared to the first week but it's still troubling. I really wanted to be "better" by now.

For the most part, when my grandchildren call, I perk up like nobody's business and we do whatever they want, but if I'm home, I'm sleepy, lazy and pretty much a sloth. I have very little appetite, and while I wanted to lose weight, this nauseous feeling is not pleasant.

I have an appointment with my primary care doc this week to go over my blood work. I rocked my mammogram (5 year survivor) and bone density scan and while I've not had problems with liver enzymes in the past, I do suffer from low iron and low D3.

I'm on an antidepressant and don't feel depressed at all, in fact, for the most part I am happy and, as my name states, optimistic.

Hope to see that I'm not the only one going through this, and if I am, I'll talk it over with my doc this week!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Even my grandchildren were no picker upper for me for the first few months of sobriety.

Please don't expect too much for a while - takes time to adjust.

Your doctor visit -- good idea.

MB
Old 03-20-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Congratulations on finishing out three weeks sober!

I am halfway through my fourth week (day 24), and I am mostly symptom free. My sleep isn't where I would like it to be, so I do get tired in the afternoons occasionally. But, each day my sleep improves a bit. As for the nausea, my non-professional opinion is that it might be linked to your lack of appetite. Whenever I have detoxed myself, eating was extremely difficult. Forcing myself to eat helped me get my appetite back and helped with the nausea tremendously. Bland food like baked potatoes and cottage cheese get the stomach primed for more complex foods. Also, if you aren't getting enough food into your system, your energy will be low. Maybe you can have your doctor prescribe you something for your nausea to help you get more food in your system.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time to repair what damage you've done by drinking. We didn't get here overnight and won't get better overnight either. It takes time. If you're still having problems down the road, then yes, see your doctor (again).
Old 03-20-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

During my first couple of months healing...my pancreas was not sure what to do...I read somewhere.

Tired all the time, but managed to work out a bit. I took naps.

On top of that, I dealt w anxiety from my brain being so clean.

On the bright side, nobody knew I was a mess unless I told them.

Some of t he guys at the gym said I looked out of it after we would train....

It gets better for sure....I promise....

Over 10 months clean and today I am really feeling almost like a normal human being...I think...

Since I was a drunk for the last 30 or so years, I can only imagine what is normal...

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was me for around the first 3 months too Optimist. Things got better for me, energy wise - I hope they will for you too.

Of course it's best to see your doctor if you're really concerned

D
Old 03-20-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Can anyone in the 3-4 week sober range share what they're feeling with respect to physical symptoms?

I am 3 weeks sober as of yesterday and still feel fatigued, nauseous, unmotivated but not anxious. This is nothing compared to the first week but it's still troubling. I really wanted to be "better" by now.

For the most part, when my grandchildren call, I perk up like nobody's business and we do whatever they want, but if I'm home, I'm sleepy, lazy and pretty much a sloth. I have very little appetite, and while I wanted to lose weight, this nauseous feeling is not pleasant.

I have an appointment with my primary care doc this week to go over my blood work. I rocked my mammogram (5 year survivor) and bone density scan and while I've not had problems with liver enzymes in the past, I do suffer from low iron and low D3.

I'm on an antidepressant and don't feel depressed at all, in fact, for the most part I am happy and, as my name states, optimistic.

Hope to see that I'm not the only one going through this, and if I am, I'll talk it over with my doc this week!

Thanks!
100% normal.

My insomnia for example was just insane, I quit in February 2014 and had crappy sleep for months and months. The first two weeks were the peak of the symptoms, I guess-timate I only got like 7 hours TOTAL sleep those 2 weeks.... it was brutal and I've never experienced anything remotely like it in my entire life.

I wish I could tell you there's a way to "speed up" the process, but I don't think there is. You will just have to cope with the withdrawal symptoms until they run their course. Don't worry, the symptoms will subside.... eventually.

Everyone's individual biology is different, I've read anecdotes on here from people who reported little to no withdrawal symptoms.... then you have the unlucky people like me who had symptoms for months and months.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
Old 03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We're the same age and absolutely what you're feeling is normal. It's much harder this time, particularly the first month. I suspect it has something to do with aging and hormones...we just aren't as resilient physically.

All the more reason never to go through this again, right?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
Congratulations on finishing out three weeks sober!

I am halfway through my fourth week (day 24), and I am mostly symptom free. My sleep isn't where I would like it to be, so I do get tired in the afternoons occasionally. But, each day my sleep improves a bit. As for the nausea, my non-professional opinion is that it might be linked to your lack of appetite. Whenever I have detoxed myself, eating was extremely difficult. Forcing myself to eat helped me get my appetite back and helped with the nausea tremendously. Bland food like baked potatoes and cottage cheese get the stomach primed for more complex foods. Also, if you aren't getting enough food into your system, your energy will be low. Maybe you can have your doctor prescribe you something for your nausea to help you get more food in your system.
Congrats SweatyHands!

Sleep hasn't been a problem for me at all so I'm thankful for that :-)
And when I read your suggestion of a baked potato, I said, "That's it!" And I had one for dinner. Thank you for your suggestions
Old 03-21-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Even my grandchildren were no picker upper for me for the first few months of sobriety.

Please don't expect too much for a while - takes time to adjust.

Your doctor visit -- good idea.

MB
Thanks MountainMan
Old 03-21-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's been 15 months and I still feel like that...

Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
During my first couple of months healing...my pancreas was not sure what to do...I read somewhere.

Tired all the time, but managed to work out a bit. I took naps.

On top of that, I dealt w anxiety from my brain being so clean.

On the bright side, nobody knew I was a mess unless I told them.

Some of t he guys at the gym said I looked out of it after we would train....

It gets better for sure....I promise....

Over 10 months clean and today I am really feeling almost like a normal human being...I think...

Since I was a drunk for the last 30 or so years, I can only imagine what is normal...

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.
Thank you D122y and congrats on being clean for 10 months! Great job!

You are right...it takes time and alcohol is poison. I'm thankful I'm not feeling worse than I am.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That was me for around the first 3 months too Optimist. Things got better for me, energy wise - I hope they will for you too.

Of course it's best to see your doctor if you're really concerned

D
Three months :-(

Well, it's better than a hangover :-)

Thanks Dee!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RushTogether View Post
It's been 15 months and I still feel like that...

Wow, 15 months Rush! Great job!

Sorry you're still fatigued...Have you been to see your doctor? That might be a good place to start!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
We're the same age and absolutely what you're feeling is normal. It's much harder this time, particularly the first month. I suspect it has something to do with aging and hormones...we just aren't as resilient physically.

All the more reason never to go through this again, right?
Ariesagain, you are so right. I don't ever want to go through this again. Perhaps Someone is trying to get that through my head?

And no, we're not as resilient...darn it...

Thank you, Ariesagain!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
100% normal.

My insomnia for example was just insane, I quit in February 2014 and had crappy sleep for months and months. The first two weeks were the peak of the symptoms, I guess-timate I only got like 7 hours TOTAL sleep those 2 weeks.... it was brutal and I've never experienced anything remotely like it in my entire life.

I wish I could tell you there's a way to "speed up" the process, but I don't think there is. You will just have to cope with the withdrawal symptoms until they run their course. Don't worry, the symptoms will subside.... eventually.

Everyone's individual biology is different, I've read anecdotes on here from people who reported little to no withdrawal symptoms.... then you have the unlucky people like me who had symptoms for months and months.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
Thank you, Grubby. I know my symptoms could be much worse. Not getting enough sleep is horrible and fortunately not something I'm experiencing. I sleep like a baby... Thanks for the reassurance that this too shall pass!!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Give yourself more sober time to repair what damage you've done by drinking. We didn't get here overnight and won't get better overnight either. It takes time. If you're still having problems down the road, then yes, see your doctor (again).
Thank you, Least. I know I want it to just go away but I do think it's a reminder that I have to be done with this stuff. If it was easy...well you know how that thinking goes.

I will see my doctor if it doesn't clear up and my test results show something off.