Notices

Unable to stop this madness

Old 03-20-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unable to stop this madness

Hi again guys, I'm back on Day one again, after a bit of a bender.

I'm completely fed up with living like this. Drinking has made my life unmanageable and I just want to stop. But thinking of a whole lifetime struggling with cravings etc gets me scared and I feel too week to do it.

I could do with some kind words of support and advice guys.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this sad girl. Have you spoken to anyone about getting some help? Your family? Your doctor?
Old 03-20-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Even the crappiest life without alcohol is better than any life with alcohol. You have the strength you need within you, you just have to recognize it. I am confident that you can do this!

I suggest you start thinking a bit differently. Instead of imagining the rest of your life with cravings, take one day at a time. One day sober isn't that bad, is it? And before you know it, a month has passed and then another one. You can do this! Remember, you're worth it!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan helps here are some useful links to some great SR threads

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html

For me I had to realise that I couldn't drink safely or responsible that's when I started getting better I would wait outside meetings early to counter my cravings I started phoning ppl before I decided to drink and got that all important 2nd opinion

Know by reaching out here first your doing your sobriety a big big favour
Old 03-20-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have reached out to my family but they're at a loss with me over it all. I know deep down that sobriety is the path for a better life but at times it feels so damned hard. Going to grab a shower in a bit and go to a meeting. I only made one meeting this past week, and I reckon that's what left me more vulnerable-by letting life issues get in the way rather than prioritising my recovery left me weakened. My life is unmanageable at the moment and its down to alcohol, but I'm struggling with steps 2 and 3-giving over the control to a higher power-I don't know how to do it!!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sadsadgirl

I think the key is to keep adding different things to your recovery plan - whatever you're doing now doesn't seem to be quite what you need - can you think of other things you might add?

do you need more support? need to make more changes?
can you speak to your sponsor about your problems with steps 2 and 3?

D
Old 03-20-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The life of cravings and misery is a big fat lie.

It's what the addicted part of your brain wants yiu to believe - so you will keep on feeding it.

It wants more than anything to rule your life, to own you, to use your body and your being as a channel for its terrible, depraved pleasure.

The truth that it doesn't want you to learn is that beyond its reaches lies a life that is joyful, deep, rich, abundant, rewarding, self-loving, pure and good.

It never wants you to find that out for yourself because it knows that will be the end of it.

Your addiction is willing to fight for its life, even to your death.

Are you?

Because you are worth it.

Life is worth it.

Embrace sobriety with all youve got. Come find out for yourself.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

although i experienced cravings and the mental obsession for a while early on in recovery, i havent experienced either in years.
i dont know where ya got the idea that they last for a lifetime, but and FreeOwl pointed out, thats just a lie.
dont believe it and dont use it as an excuse to keep drinking.

you can get sober and have an awesome life, sadsadgirl, but youre going to have to commit to sobriety.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said, I can;t remember my last craving or wish to drink.
It's not a lifetime burden to be sober - quite the opposite really - I feel free now

D
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The others are so right on this. I'm coming up to a year (never would have believed I could do even a month) and the cravings are hardly there, certainly not every day as they were at the beginning. As sober time mounts up it gets easier I promise. Be good to yourself and give it all you've got.
xx
Old 03-20-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The cravings do go away. But you have to stay sober to weaken them. The longer you're sober, the fewer cravings you'll have.

And waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

The first time through those steps, Step 2 was "willingness" to continue with the rest of the steps and Step 3 was making a "decision" to move forward with the rest of the steps and knowing, as I wrote each column for Step 4, that I was being "cared for" by some power greater than I.

Step 2 came to life after I completed Step 7 (6 & 7 immediately followed Step 5, a discussion, not a reading of Step 4).

I know you can stay stopped!!! Rooting for you here!

Sending you love and hugs!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not living a life of craving here, either. Please join us!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I have occasional cravings now at almost 9 months, but only because I woke the addiction up again.

I can tell you I've lived most of my life free of that obsession with no cravings. Going through the steps and incorporating their principles into my daily life played a big part in that.

You can do it too.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Oh hon, you know we can all relate.

I'd suggest starting a new thread entitled something like "I Will Stop the Madness."
Because you surely can.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Step 2 is just willingness then? When I hand my will over it feels good and I feel light and free. But very quickly I can find myself back in the position where I've taken it back and I'm looking for the same old "cure" to the spiritual malady. I should be asking my sponsor all these things but she's going through a tough time herself and I don't want to be a burden.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Sad, I was also having a hard time with relapses. I thought I had a good recovery plan going and then I would give in...I thought I was hopeless. I decided to add antabuse to my recovery plan. I got a script from my GP and am taking a half tablet a day. I have no side effects from it, except I have no taste for alcohol. The antabuse takes away any conversation with my addictive voice. It is very liberating knowing I don't have that voice screaming all the time. I plan on taking this med. for the near future, giving me the head start I need. Just a thought ....Best Wishes.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Same here
I don't crave alcohol or even want to drink
Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
But thinking of a whole lifetime struggling with cravings etc gets me scared and I feel too week to do it.
What makes you think you will struggle with cravings your whole life?

Your addiction, I'm guessing, telling you how hard sobriety is. The truth is, the obsession with alcohol passes. If you would give recovery a fair shot, at least a year, you'll discover that truth yourself.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm 70 days sober and do not have cravings. My cravings were done within a few days of my last drink.

Try to give AA a good shot. If it's just not for you, don't keep banging your head against a wall. Find something else that truly fits and works for you. Don't get too attached to any one methodology -- the important thing is to make progress with your recovery.

Have you looked into SMART or Women for Sobriety? These are more secular, I believe. I like Reformers Unanimous, which is a Christian faith-based program but non 12-step.

Whatever you do, don't isolate. Stay in connection with others. And if your cravings are bad-bad, talk to your doctor about them. There are meds that might help.

On this site, try to read threads that describe the joy of getting free of alcohol. It will help you wrap your mind around how wonderful life will be without it.