Notices

Unable to stop this madness

Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would definitely call my sponsor
Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Unless your family members are recovering themselves, they probably really don't know how to help you.
It sounds like you're giving AA a try, but if you feel that you're a burden to your sponsor, you might try another sponsor. I'm not active in AA, but I'm pretty sure that changing sponsors is OK. And, if your's is in a tough spot, they will likely be OK with that.
I had a hard time with the "one day at a time" notion because I couldn't separate that from the "lifetime" idea. But, somehow I could handle one hour at a time. (I know, crazy, but I was saturated with booze!). So I could put off my evening drinking sessions for a while. That helped me get to the point that I could accept "one day ..." Then, I did have a "babysitter" who helped me stay sober a few nights until I could do it on my own.
Please let us know how you are.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
I should be asking my sponsor all these things but she's going through a tough time herself and I don't want to be a burden.
its not for you to decide if your sponsor has too much going on to help you. helping others during tough times is one thing that helps us through tough times.

call your sponsor.
theres others in recovery you can call,too.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Sad - the most important thing about relapse is what we learn from it.

What triggered the first drink?

Where were you?

What day of the week and time was it?

How can you identify those trigger times going forward and change the outcome?

Feeling awful after a relapse is a reminder that everything is better without alcohol. It gets a little easier every day. Trust those who are telling you that.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Changing things up was what I found most helpful, continuing to do the same things and expecting different results never worked, no matter how small, try something different, new actions, new decisions, more support, whatever it is try something different!!

You can do this!!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

One of the things that I love about being a sponsor is that I can often help my sponsees when I can't help myself. One of the things that frustrates me is when a sponsor doesn't call or contact to let me or others help when needed. Sometimes the first step to willingness us to be willing to actually contact and to be honest when you do contact. Please contact your sponsor and say that you need more guidance on step 2 and 3. None if thus "I'm fine" malarky. People do need guidance on the steps. That's why we have sponsors. Your part of it us making regular contact and getting to regular meetings so that the fellowship can work it's magic. In the meantime you could read steps 2 and step 3 in the 12 steps an 12 traditions book. (It's available free and instantly online if you do a search ). The other thing that helped me to get to grips with the step work was finding a Steps meeting and a Big Book study meting to attend as well as the more general share meetings. I learned a lot there. There are also of speaker recordings online that can help. Mickey Bush really helped me to get a better understanding of the first three steps. There are some recordings of him on YouTube of you fancy having a listen.

Good luck. Check back and let us know how things are going. Often! ☺
Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi guys, thanks for your advice. I contacted some of the people in my fellowship including my sponsor and was given good advice. On person said that they could tell I was getting it but it was just taking time-that felt a lot better. I'm working at it but probably not hard enough and got caught up not doing the work daily, which is what I'm putting the relapse down to. At the moment I don't have a clear idea of my higher power but there's a power in the rooms that is greater than myself, so I'm using that as my visualisation of my higher power at the moment. It's all a huge reprogramming of my brain and its coping mechanisms!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good start sadsadgirl

D
Old 03-21-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Hi again guys, I'm back on Day one again, after a bit of a bender.

I'm completely fed up with living like this. Drinking has made my life unmanageable and I just want to stop. But thinking of a whole lifetime struggling with cravings etc gets me scared and I feel too week to do it.

I could do with some kind words of support and advice guys.
First of all, you certainly will not spend your whole life struggling with cravings. I've been sober for years now and never think about it. Never have cravings. As for what may be happening to you right now, why not see a doctor . They have meds now that help ease up or even eliminate the cravings. Recovery is tough at first but it helps to seek out the companionship of other alcoholics, especially persons with some sobriety. That should help a lot. And do keep posting. We will help you!

W.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job
Old 03-21-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"At the moment I don't have a clear idea of my higher power but there's a power in the rooms that is greater than myself, so I'm using that as my visualisation of my higher power at the moment. It's all a huge reprogramming of my brain and its coping mechanisms!"

10+ years in and i still dont have a clear idea of my HP. i call him God but still dont know much about him or why.
what i do know is
He can
I cant
so i let Him

heres something father Ed said to Bill w on their 1st meeting, which happened to be at a time bill was struggling spiritually:
we will never understand God. our idea of God will always be lacking, for to understand,to comprehend God, is to be equal to God."

weve all had to learn how to live- had major changing that needed to happen.
it takes time, but one of the promises of the program is that it becomes a working part of our lives.

practice.