Notices

Has anyone writen their story?

Old 03-19-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone writen their story?

Often in AA I listen to the person sharing their story and often wonder how I would go about sharing mine, Ive a long way to go in recovery before I'd be asked to do that, but Im thinking about writing it all down.

Has anyone done this? And if so did you find it helpful, difficult, painful etc etc?

Im wondering if by getting it all out on paper it maybe in some ways theraputic and healing?
Old 03-19-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

I'd ask your sponsor.

In NA we write a lot of stuff on the steps, and bits and pieces of what could be called "our story" start to emerge. I think you'll find that a good deal of "your story" will come out when you write your 4th step.

The best part is that you are now engaged in "writing" your recovery story every day. Over time this becomes far more important than what happened while you were using. Also, the steps will gradually change how you view what happened in "your story" prior to recovery.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im currently doing my step 4 at the moment, you're right it is starting to come out! I find keeping a journal immensely helpful, I will discuss it with my sponsor for sure x
Old 03-19-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is our Stories of Recovery Forum:

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-19-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ lots of inspiration in there

D
Old 03-19-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My story started with me doing a 4th/5th step suggested by a sponsor. Setting out a timeline helped me.......

Keep coming back
Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ive started to write a lil bit about my childhood, teens and early adulthood, looking back I can see I was an alcoholic in the making right from the age of 8 or 9. Ive not posted it, but it has been helpful just to write and think about it. Lots of low self esteem, body conconcious issues, depression, anger etc which ive carried around with me for years and alcohol was my cure for all.

I may post it one day, but for now, its helped me look at things in perspective.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a good idea actually
Old 03-19-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me it was pretty painful. To document 40 years of Drinking and drugging and the wreckage that went along with it was not a pretty story. We have to remember not all pain is bad. Doing my story made me grow and see that there was nothing about my addictions that was worth saving or wanting to relive.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them.
bb p 124
Old 03-20-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them.
bb p 124
That is so very very true. One thing I'm an expert on is how to screw up your life. I am getting more knowledgeable on how to create a new life filled with love, happiness and hope.

If I can help one alcoholic stay sober and not repeat my mistakes then my life has been worthwhile
Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was in my early 30's I spent 6 months recapping/writing about my life. Particularly the 6 years prior. I had to. It had nothing to do with alcohol, but the subject matter was just as serious and insane. I did it because it was therapeutic. It ended up being quite a book, its on a floppy disc around here somewhere.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If found putting things down on paper to be very therapeutic!!