SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Dealing with the wreckage (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/386883-dealing-wreckage.html)

thelatheguy 03-15-2016 11:14 PM

Dealing with the wreckage

Hey what's happening? I'm sober 46 days now and life isn't too bad. Things could be so much worse and I have to remember that. 46 days ago I made a terrible decision to score some coke. The day being my birthday rationalized that poor decision. To make a long story short, my wife took one look at me when she arrived home from work, and knew I was high. The next day I was told to leave. I left. To make matters worse, I was picked for a random drug test at work. Goodbye best job I ever had. The two most important things in my life slipped away. Fortunately I've asked my wife not to call an attorney just yet and she agreed. I also found another job in my field but half the pay and night shift. It looks like my HP is helping me right off the bat. Now I'm working the steps like there is no tomorrow. Meeting everday at noon. Calling other AA members. Service work too. I admit the pain is devastating at times looking back at what I caused. I'm paying the price. That's where I am today. Dealing with the wreckage. But with a sober mind and body. It could be worse. ....

lynnmarie123 03-15-2016 11:31 PM

Hi thelatheguy! Welcome to SR!
Lots of people picking up the pieces here, you are with a good group.

Dee74 03-16-2016 12:27 AM

Welcome thelatheguy :)

I'm sorry for what happened, but you're absolutely right - it could easily be worse.

I'm glad you've found us :)

D

OldTomato 03-16-2016 01:41 AM

Sorry you had to go through that thelatheguy, I'm glad you're using your experience to get better.

Mrskw 03-16-2016 02:09 AM

Hi and welcome, congratulations on 46 days! I'm sorry about the events you described but it seems that you are now going in right direction. Best wishes to you.

venuscat 03-16-2016 02:10 AM

So glad you are here with us, and I commend you for your action.
Nothing can change the past, but working a program, and sincerely trying to change things now is everything.

Sending you love. :hug:

Fly N Buy 03-16-2016 02:10 AM

Glad you're here - welcome.

We can deal with today and the wreckage of yesterday soberly, which allows us to not have to deal with wreckage of tomorrow.

Sobriety isn't a sprint, it's a marathon that's just for today. You can do this, many have.

keep coming back

least 03-16-2016 02:52 AM

Welcome to the family. :) I hope our support can help you stay sober for good. :)

Mountainmanbob 03-16-2016 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by thelatheguy (Post 5853391)

That's where I am today. Dealing with the wreckage. But with a sober mind and body. It could be worse. ....

With time spent away from the booze, drugs ect
we recovery from the wreckage of our past and daily
try not to add to the pot.

It's a good life for us -- clean and sober.

Congratulations on your sober days
Most if not all will get much better if you stay clean.
But, you know that
we need to fool ourselves no more.

M-Bob

Soberwolf 03-16-2016 03:59 AM

Welcome TLG

Delilah1 03-16-2016 06:02 AM

I'm sorry for all you went through, but glad you are putting things back together. Hopefully things will continue to fall into place for you.

Anna 03-16-2016 06:33 AM

It sounds like you are beginning to work things out with your relationship and your job. And, showing gratitude, as you are, is very helpful.

LostLilly 03-16-2016 07:22 AM

Hello,

I am 26 days and also dealing with lots of wreckage. Family about to fall apart, no license, legal stuff. I know my only hope is staying sober and taking one day at a time. I am also going to AA daily and it has been very helpful. Lots of people who had dug themselves into a hole they eventually got out of. Stay strong and know you are not alone!!

Lilly

CaseyW 03-16-2016 07:33 AM

Welcome to SR, thelatheguy. It sure sounds like you're on the right path to me. Keep doing the next right thing and that wreckage will work itself out one way or another. Hope you'll become a regular participant here. The support to be found in these forums is a wonderful tool. Congrats on day 46 from a fellow Texan!

SoberinSyracuse 03-16-2016 07:34 AM

Hi, and nice to cybermeet you. A lot of us here have a story like yours -- one night, one decision, suddenly blew the lid off the unsustainable life we'd been living for a long time.

It can be the best thing ever to happen to us if we make it the turning point. Keep on using these events to your advantage and you'll come out with a better marriage and a better job than you ever could have landed in your previous "high functioning substance user" life!!

So I'm not gonna say "Sorry this happened." I'm gonna say "Glad this happened and congratulations! Welcome to the rest of your life!" :c011:

thelatheguy 03-16-2016 11:44 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse (Post 5853888)
Hi, and nice to cybermeet you. A lot of us here have a story like yours -- one night, one decision, suddenly blew the lid off the unsustainable life we'd been living for a long time.

It can be the best thing ever to happen to us if we make it the turning point. Keep on using these events to your advantage and you'll come out with a better marriage and a better job than you ever could have landed in your previous "high functioning substance user" life!!

So I'm not gonna say "Sorry this happened." I'm gonna say "Glad this happened and congratulations! Welcome to the rest of your life!" :c011:

Thank you. It's really great to be here. Hopefully i can help someone else with my experience. !!!

PurpleKnight 03-16-2016 01:07 PM

Welcome to the Forum Thelatheguy!! :wave: