Notices

Meetings

Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings

I'm not sure which way to, today is day 2 but that's no big deal, I'm adamant I'm going to stop for good, but I have been reading a lot about AVRT today, So I'm wondering which approach is better?? As in, more successful, I've never been to an AA meeting and it's a scary thought, any and all advice, much appreciated, 😊
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Both AA and AVRT can be very successful. Neither is "better" than the other, they are just different.

Your success in either of those two ( or any of the others ) is much more related to your willingness to do the work and follow the plan than the plan itself. Why not try both and see which one you like better? Some people actually use multiple tools/plans.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There's no right or wrong or better way to get and stay sober. Give AA a try. Give AVRT a try. Post in here a lot. See a counselor. Go to rehab. Do whatever it takes to not take that first drink.

Congratulations on day 2! One day without drinking is a HUGE deal for us alcoholics.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This is a very common--and often contentious--topic here at SoberRecovery. In fact, debates over recovery methods are not allowed in the Newcomers' section.

I believe that AVRT and AA are not compatible, as an oath to never attend recovery meetings concludes the "AVRT Crash Course." I actually believe that these two programs deal with different parts of the brain, so maybe it is just a personal matter which program works for whom. I am a supporter of AA, but my wife takes the AVRT approach and I still love her.

I suggest you try some AA or NA meetings, but note that every meeting is different so don't judge them all by your first experience. If you are in an area with lots of meetings, you may even find secular "SMART" or Christian "Celebrate Recovery" meetings.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the above - go along and try both. The one thing that is best avoided though is procrastination. Just pop your coat on and go get some support. Recovery starts when we stop thinking about it, and start doing it.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that you try every option available and see which one works for you.

I use a bit of a lot of programs (SMART, AA, AVRT,) and then I have to use my Buddhism as well. I'm actually embarrassed that I beg barrow and steal anything that gives me a chance! (LOL)

The big thing is to keep open and do everything you can to stay sober. I don't believe in an all powerful, all loving god, but every morning I say thank you god. What's the harm in that

Please explore every option for sobriety that you can find.

Nands
Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best program is the one that keeps you sober.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give both a good try. You won't know until you try them if they're for you or not.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I was an AA member, and ultimately abandoned that in favour of AVRT. It suited me in ways that relate to my core being and values, while I completely understand and support those who view things in other ways. As others have said, what works for you will be the best.

If you want to learn more about AVRT, please drop in to the Secular Connections forum. There is a lot of information and support there for you.

Importantly, believe in yourself. Believe you can do this. Believe you deserve it, a life without the misery and pain of addiction. Because you do.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I went AA but give both a try and see what fits
Old 03-15-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I have spoken with my wife today about this decision, should I speak with my children?? they are somewhat unaware of how bad it really is!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It 's hard enough for other adults to understand our addictions, so I don't know that trying to explain it to children would be productive. I think that being a sober parent will be a very positive influence on their lives--your actions now are what matters.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a child raised in an alchoholic home, I have to say that something should be said to the kids.

Kids know something is really wrong .... they just don't know what and often feel that they are crazy cause there is nothing to confirm what they are seeing and feeling.

How and how much you share does depend on the age of the child but something has to be said (IMO).

My mother did not have this talk with me about how my dad was alcoholic until I was around 11. But I just knew something was wrong and thought it was probably because of me from about 5 to 11.

At 11 I didn't understand it was a disease, I didn't understand that it didn't mean dad didn't love me or mom .... I didn't understand a lot. But it was the first affirmation I received that it wasn't me. I hadn't done something wrong that made daddy and mommy into the crazies they had become.

I don't believe in "unburdening" our "sins" to our kids weather they are 5 or 45 .... but I do believe giving some information to them so they understand the truth, the reality ... and understand it isn't about them being the problem.... that is important.

There were some secretes I didn't share with my son till he as in his 20s because that was the age appropriate thing to do .... but when I did share ... he lit up ... he said mom that explains so much!.

Talk to a councelor if you are unsure how much or how to share, but I really think something needs to be shared when we get sober so that others can start to heal as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The first weeks / months of sobriety can be confusing and emotional, so it might be good to address the issue with your kids when you're feeling stronger in your sobriety and you have a more definite idea of what you want to say to them. I needed to make sobriety the top priority - the rest followed.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

why not try them both? If you have to make a choice make it an informed one
Find out which is a best fit for you

D
Old 03-15-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I agree with Dee (for once, LOL). Try them both, and don't stop there. Try other things as well. See what seems to "fit." And don't be afraid to be eclectic.

I found AVRT useful, AA not at all, and getting back in touch with my spiritual faith was very helpful. If there was a "silver bullet" I'd say it was the "alternative" therapy I got (intravenous amino acid therapy). So really, a combination of things.

It's all about finding what works for you. Don't be afraid to try something just 'cuz nobody else has done it, and don't hesitate to dump a widely-used approach if it's clearly not working for you.

The important thing is to do SOMETHING, and start making your sobriety the priority in your life.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I found AVRT minus the AA bashing to be very effective in early recovery and still use it to a lesser degree today. I moved to AA because I needed others and instructions on how to lead a fulfilling life.

I believe there is a ton to be learned and used from a multitude of sources. The biggest single piece of advice I can give is find people with good and long-term recovery. Then do what they do